Using Shared NFL Pictures for Personal Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

agfreesafety

I have a personal blog about professional American football that I just started. I want to use some of the pictures found on sites like everystockphoto.com, where there are tons of images available to you that you can use for free.

I'm new here, so I'm unable to post a link to one of the photos I want to use (to make this easier), however, if you go to everystockphoto.com, type in "NFL" (for example) in the search box at the top of the screen, you'll see many photos appear in the results. If you click on the third photo from the left (a picture of an NFL player running with a ball), on the resulting screen, if you click on the "Attribution License" link directly to the right of the image, you'll see where it says:

"You are free:

* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

* Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work)."

My question is, even though the author says the image can be used, that doesn't mean that the NFL is fine with me using that image, correct? My hunch is that using websites like this for images of people or other items is ok, however in instances where an entity is involved, in this instance, the NFL, I was thinking that I'd need their permission in addition to the photographer's, who took the photo.

Am I right or wrong, here?

I did a search - apparently they are an affiliate site. They link to pictures that are licensed elsewhere. I viewed a picture that looked like some fan put text on a photo and was happy about a win by the team. Their terms state the following:

All the images listed on our site are license-specific. Most of them are free to use, under specific conditions. Before making use of these images, it is your responsibility to visit the sites that host these images, and review the licenses there. Be aware that there are special issues regarding photos of people (especially children!), landmarks and trademarks, please see the question below for more information.

Disclaimer Use of photos on this site is at your own risk. It is your responsibility to verify the source license of the photo, read the license, and use responsibly.

If you're looking for photos to use, I'm not sure this is the place you want to purchase stock photos from if you want assurances that they are licensed properly. You'll need to do real homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back