Using law enforcement to harass

Frustratedinflo

I am currently in a custody battle with the mother of my infant daughter. She has repeatedly used law enforcement to harass me under the guise of supposed "welfare checks". Each time officers have found no reason for concern of my well being. Despite the fact that she has done this numerous times, 2 weeks ago at 6:30 a.m. I was awakened to the sound of voices outside my apartment window. I looked out my window and saw police officers. (I live in a duplex). I got dressed and went to my front door, opened it and asked one of the officers if I could help them with something. At that moment, another police officer stepped out from behind a privacy enclosure with a shotgun pointed at me and began shouting commands for me to "get on the ground". I was stunned as I stood in my doorway with both hands in plain view and asked, "what's going on?"

The officer with the shotgun then charged at me, pushed me back into my apartment and down onto my couch where I was then handcuffed by him and two other officers. I did not resist, but continued to ask frantically what was happening. Once securely handcuffed and still on my knees facing my couch, the officer with the shotgun explained to me that my ex had called 911 and said that I was depressed because of a custody battle and that I had called her that morning and told her I had taken a handful of pills and was sitting in my truck with a gun threatening to kill myself.

I then explained that yes I was in a custody battle over our child in common, but that I had not contacted her and had not had a phone number for her in over three weeks because she keeps changing her phone number making it impossible for me to even inquire about my child. The officer then took my cell phone - the only phone I own - and found that I had made no phone calls at all since 6:00 p.m. the previous day and that I, in fact, did not have her phone number in my phone. At that point I was unhandcuffed, though given no apology, and the officers (6 of them total) simply got in their cars and left.

Though I have pushed for prosecution regarding this event for giving false report and abuse of 911 services, law enforcement refuse to move forward telling me that unless my ex verbally admits to falsely giving the report, there is nothing they can do.

Advice???

I suggest you do two things:
First, consult with three or four local attorneys. Don't worry, the first consultation is offered free of charge. Gather information, see if the local lawyers recommend pursuing this through the court system.

Second, speak to the mayor, your city council representative, and eventually the chief of police.

After you've done your due diligence, you can decide if there is a there there!!!!

I suggest you do two things:
First, consult with three or four local attorneys. Don't worry, the first consultation is offered free of charge. Gather information, see if the local lawyers recommend pursuing this through the court system.

Second, speak to the mayor, your city council representative, and eventually the chief of police.

After you've done your due diligence, you can decide if there is a there there!!!!

I recommend you cease any attempt to communicate directly with the child's mother.
For the present, it might be best for your SAFETY, to not attempt to learn about your child's safety.
In addition, change your phone number and don't give the new number to anyone associated with the child's mother.
If that won't work, get another phone and number, and use the current one ONLY to communicate with the person that is trying to ruin your life, maybe even get you killed.

Back