Using celebrity’s name that happens to be my name

mampam

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
My name is Judy and I'm a judge. (Not the famous one….) Would there be a copyright/trademark issue if I use "Judge Judy" in a book title referring to myself?? What if I add my middle name? Even if I don't use my middle name, is it ok to call myself "Judge Judy" in print or on my website? I've researched this but I'm not a copyright lawyer, so I want to make sure. Thanks!

My name is Judy and I'm a judge. (Not the famous one….) Would there be a copyright/trademark issue if I use "Judge Judy" in a book title referring to myself?? What if I add my middle name? Even if I don't use my middle name, is it ok to call myself "Judge Judy" in print or on my website? I've researched this but I'm not a copyright lawyer, so I want to make sure. Thanks!
You're a judge and you think the best place to find your answer is on the internet?

I've researched this but I'm not a copyright lawyer, so I want to make sure.

Judge Judy made $47,000,000 per year average during her heyday and then sold her episodes to CBS for syndication for $150,000,000.

She wouldn't think twice about squashing you like a bug if you called yourself Judge Judy in a book title.

Don't do it.

If you have anything to write that's worth reading, use your full name in the title or don't use your name at all. Just pick a descriptive title and don't call yourself Judge Judy anywhere in the book.

Hardly a week goes by that we don't get the same kind of question from somebody who doesn't have a creative bone in their body and wants to make a name for themselves on the back of a celebrity.

smh

What kind of judge are you? This is not an issue of copyright law, but of trademark law. Someone holds the trademark to "Judge Judy" whether it is Judith Sheindlin, who is the star of the show, or the production company that produces the show. If you market the book with the name "Judge Judy" I'd not be surprised that you'd face a trademark infringement claim. That can become very expensive. I think you'd do better to use some other name for the book and in referring to yourself. At the very least, you'll want to consult an intellectual property rights attorney before going down that route.

My name is Judy and I'm a judge. (Not the famous one….) Would there be a copyright/trademark issue if I use "Judge Judy" in a book title referring to myself?

The issue you described has NOTHING to do with copyright law, but it would implicate trademark law. In the subject header of your post, you referred to a "celebrity's name that happens to be [your] name," but that's not what you've described in your post. "Judge" is not part of your name. If there's an actual market for a book about you (and I doubt there is), you'll need to come up with a different name.

Even if I don't use my middle name, is it ok to call myself "Judge Judy" in print or on my website?

You'll get sued. Also, why on Earth would a judge have a website (other than a page at the court's website)?

Back