Used car sale troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatrain57

Hi, I live in Illinois and recently sold a vehicle online. The car had a bad engine, but the listing stated as such, and that the car hadn't run in over a year. I had someone purchase the vehicle, and he planned on putting in his own motor. On the day of pickup, the buyer inspected the car himself, and even drove the vehicle off my driveway, down the block and up onto a car dolly to tow it home. At which time buyer paid for the car, and signed the bill of sale stating that the car was in "AS-IS" condition with no warranty or return. Now, it's going on 3 weeks later, and I get text messages from him stating that the transmission doesn't shift out of 1st gear, and he is threatening me with litigation. The transmission shifted fine until the motor was installed, and now all of a sudden there are issues. I'm not sure if he did something when he swapped the engine out, but, all I know is that the transmission worked fine prior to the new engine being installed. I have the original bill of sale, which he signed, plus all my listings about the vehicle being in non-running order. Do I have anything to worry about, especially since he signed the bill of sale stating the car was AS-IS, and that he inspected it himself?

As-is means as-is. In all such private sales, the buyer must beware. If the buyer persists, makes the purchase anyway, that's the ball game.

Stop trying to explain HOW the car stopped working. It isn't your problem. Stop communicating with him. If he sues you, as long as the facts are as you represent, you've got nothing to fear!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

As-is, from a private seller means, as-is.
Threats are all he has.
Ignore him.
Stop trying to explain why it doesn't run.
That doesn't look well for you.
Repeat after me, "As-is means as-is from a private seller. Buyer should always beware!"

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back