Used car deal fraud

Y

yurim87

Jurisdiction
California
I went to a used car dealership to trade my car in and was told my car was valued at $2,000 and the other vehicle would be $3,500. I signed the paperwork and as soon as I drove off the lot the check engine light was on along with the air bag light. I went straight to another mechanic and was told it was the transmission. It was bad and the car was worthless.I was also told that my car was worth more than the car I received exchange. I returned to the used car lot within an hour and demanded my original vehicle back and was told no, the deal was made and there was nothing that could be done for me. I have 3 small children, what am I suppose to do?

what am I suppose to do?

You should always have YOUR mechanic check any car you plan to buy BEFORE you sign any papers.

All you can do now is sell the junker, repair the junker, or cry.

I returned to the used car lot within an hour and demanded my original vehicle back and was told no, the deal was made and there was nothing that could be done for me.

You apparently have a computer or a way to get on the internet as you managed to find this site.

Why, oh why, couldn't you have gone on the internet BEFORE going to the dealer and googled "How to buy a used car and avoid getting screwed by a used car dealer."

Once you signed and drove away the car belonged to you in whatever condition it was in. You should have gone straight to the mechanic BEFORE you finalized the purchase. A $3500.00 vehicle is very likely going to have problems. Whoever told you your car was worth more doesn't know what they're talking about unless they drove your car and did a proper appraisal. You can go back to the dealership and make sure you talk to the owner or general manager and appeal to their sense of fair play, but legally you bought that car as is.

Back