Naturalization, Citizenship US Citizen to wanting to purchase property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne_Lamain

My Boyfriend is wishing to purchase a home here in Ontario. He will stay here as a temporary resident until I can become clear to legally marry him. He will return to the US periodically to maintain the temp. status until I am fully divorced. At that time we plan to marry and we will start the necessary paperwork for him to become a permenant resident by marriage. We were told by immigration to keep all paperwork (phone bills, airline tickets etc.) showing proof of relationship prior to being married, just so we can show this was not a marriage of convenience. He is financially secure without employement in Canada as he recieves a veterans pension from the US. I noticed each time I pick him up at the Buffalo Airport and we cross back into Canada, when he visits for a week or two, they are very contenious at our border about how long he's staying, if he has employement in the US, if he has a residence there etc. etc. He will maintain an active address in the US with his parents while we await my divorce. We want to do this legally, so is there any advise you can give me to make sure we dont screw up and jeapordize future permenant residency. The second part of the question is when an american purhases a residential property here, is there special taxes emposed on them or any quirks we should know about? Thanks for any assistance you can give
Suzanne

I'm not as well versed in Canadian law but the Candian Citizenship and Immigration Web Site may be of assistance. I think that certain properties may be off limits to non-citizens in the same way that it is here in the US. I am sure that this web site and office can tell you more, as will any real estate broker in Canada (who would be glad to take your call!) Good luck with your new life together! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back