Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

seffysmiles

My question is that I received a phone call from my ex girlfriend today in regards to my daughter, to whom I have no legal ties to, not even on the birth certificate. I have only seen my daughter a total of 3 times since she was born and one of them happened to be only brief. The question is she wants me to sign a document and have it noterized at a bank stating that I am the father and I am giving up rights (of which until now I thought I had none) to my daughter so that she can have her new husband to be adopt her, do I have to do this or can he just do it without my signature? I really had no contact with any of them until recently and this seems really fishy to me as a scam to get Child support from me. Please I need an answer urgently!!! I want to make this crystal to anyone who reads this, I am not a deadbeat father, I just never had an option to be a father over 500 miles away with no phone number to call, no address to send anything to and an ex that didn't want me to help out at all. Currently I have a beautiful daughter through my fiance who has 2 of her own and I have proven myself to be a good father and caregiver. Thanks to whom can reply without haste.

It appears your ex girlfriend wishes for her current husband to adopt your daughter. In order to do this, your approval is required. Without such the adoption cannot proceed.

If she wished to get child support from you, she'd be petitioning the court for such.

Gail

She has the right to seek child support and to establish paternity at any time, regardless so avoiding this is not going to go anywhere. Paternity is going to have to be legally established at some point and if you do not consent to it, a court will force you to take a DNA test anyways. I am not sure if this notarized document will hold up in court anyways. You might want to google establishing paternity in your state, or go to your states child support website. Once paternity is established she can motion to either file for child support or terminate your rights. This is not just moms fault. It appears you haven't done much to even get your rights restored anyways. Since you are not the legal father it appears, you have no rights to the child until this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back