Upside down value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub305

During my marriage to my wife. My exMother-in-law had agreed to lend me her credit to lease a new car. Of which i had always made my payments on time with records to prove it. During the separation she decided to take the car away from me since i was no longer with her daughter. In the trade-in process there was an upside down value of $5,000. She (mother-in-law) is now trying to sue me for the value on the upcoming divorce.

my question is: If the car was never under my name,... will i be entitled to having to pay back the upside value?!?.. Wouldn't the fact that she took the car away from me, clear me of having to pay back the value?!?

we never had either a written nor verbal agreement ever stating that i was to pay that upside value..

She agreed to lend you her credit to lease the new car with the sole purpose of you being the primary user. The fact that she took away the car from you after the separation does not buffer you from the fact that you were the reason why she leased the car in her name for your use. The upside value is your responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back