Unwanted propane delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenberg

My jurisdiction is: North Carolina

In July, 2008, given spotty service and high prices, I shut off the valve that controls the flow of propane from an underground tank in my yard to my house. I replaced my gas stove and hot water heater with electric models. Today, November 4, 2008 the propane company filled the tank up and left me a bill for $421 for propane that I didn't ask for, will never use and don't want.

Do I owe them the money? Who owns the propane? If I do not want to pay and prefer the propane be removed, is it within my rights to demand such. As far as I know, I have no ongoing contract with the company.

Better check your contract. Have you ever had to ask them to come out to fill in the past, or do they just show up? As far as you know you have no ongoing contract, but they appear to hold a different view. If you had an ongoing contract, and you didn't cancel, you owe them the money.

Propane problem

Thanks for the response.

My 11 years of experience with the company has been spotty. There were times when I had to call to get propane and other times when they just showed up. The last time they delivered prior to this delivery was last December and I believe I had to call (although I have no way to prove that). There never has been regularity in delivery, at least from my perspective. I am sure I signed something 11 years ago, but do not have a copy of it. Would they have to produce a copy if I ask for it and what would it have to say about deliveries for them to make me take and pay for propane I can't use?

If they want you to pay, they better be able to produce a contract. Without knowing what your agreement is, one can only speculate what your rights and obligations are here. The contract would (hopefully) indicate what you are obligated to pay, and whether you are required to pay for delivered propane whether or not you asked for the delivery.

Many thanks for the advice. As it turned out the company was professional and polite, agreeing to retrieve their tank and propane and cancel any charges to my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back