untrue references

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needsajob

I took part in a summer program designed to allow people with diverse backgrounds to become teachers in an alternative program. The state pays for this summer section in return for the teachers to be teaching in that state for a certain lenght of time. the first section of the program took place at a local university and the second half, the field section, took place at a local school. There was a field experience teacher who works for that school system.

The first section of the program was fine, no problem. The field section was like a month long internment with the red queen from Alice in wonderland. The field teacher was flamingly unprofessional. In my favorite example, she called me names in front of the actual students, such as Miss Sour Face and made references to my anatomy. She referred to a member of my teaching group as spanish princess, which caused problem in my teaching group. I was evaluated, by someone else besides the lead teacher, and received a good evaluation. At the end of the term, my class gave the field instructor overwhelmingly bad feedback on the instructional reviews. the university acted like they did not know that the field instructor was so poor in her instruction but I looked up reviews for other classes the field teacher had taught and she had received very poor feedback in her past classes.

my problem is, I can't get a job and I was told through the teaching grapepvine that I was getting bad evaluations from this field instructor so I hired a private detective to do a background check. the field instructor gave deragatory statements about me and said she would never recommend hiring me. I can't not put this field experience down on applications for teaching jobs. This being a small community, everyone knows who that the field instructor directs that part of the summer program. I don't know who she may have talked to already as I put in applications around this area?

Can anyone send advice, my car is breaking down and I do need a job.

This is a very tricky area to walk. It is NOT against the law to give a negative reference. It is only illegal to give an UNTRUE reference. But just because you do not agree with it doesn't mean it is untrue. She is entitled to give her opinion, even if it is negative, even if you do not agree with it, and even if you can line up three dozen people to refute what she says. If in her opinion she would not recommend hiring you, it is legal for her to say that, even if everyone else in the program would recommend you.

"Needsajob failed her final exam" when you passed the final exam is an untrue reference and one for which you might be able to take legal action IF you can show that you suffered damages because of it; i.e. it was BECAUSE OF this reference that you did not get the job. The burden of proof is on you. "I was unsatisfied with Needsajob's performance" is an opinion, which is protected under the law and for which you have no legal recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back