Unpaid Administrative Leave for being depressed?

F

FrustratedTeacher

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I am a teacher at a charter school in St. Louis City. We do not have contracts and we are an at-will organization. We have had several teachers resign this year because the behavior of the children is verbally and physically abusive. Many teachers including myself have had things stolen from us, been called names and racial slurs, and been physically attacked by our students. The behavior is out of control and many teachers in the building are powerless to stop it because of the lack of discipline in the building.

I was venting to a co-worker about how difficult it was becoming to manage my depression because of the constant environment in the school. Apparently one of the administrative team overheard me because Friday my head of school called me into her office, told me that the conversation had been relayed to her, and asked me if I was seeking help for my depression in the form of therapy or medication. She then said that an emotionally compromised teacher is unable to do their job and that if I am emotionally compromised I am a liability and a danger to the children. She put me on administrative leave WITHOUT PAY and mandated that I see a psychiatrist to obtain a fit to work letter.

Looking further into this over the weekend, I came to the understanding that she cannot actually mandate that I see a psychiatrist and that she has to accept either a letter from my medical doctor or my LPC if she wants a fit to work letter-- but I am wondering if it was legal for her to place me on administrative leave without pay simply for admitting that I have depression? Please help me. I know she is dancing on a legal line here but I don't know exactly where the line is. Thank you!

I suggest you start seeking new employment.
All employment is at will in this nation.
Yes, unions do have a CBA.
Some people have employment contracts.
Nevertheless, if an employer wants you gone, you're gone, even if there's a contract.
Sure, you might get paid to sit at home, like some sports stars.
Not much different than paid admin leave, no matter what the person calls it.
We abolished slavery, as well as indentured servitude, about 150 years ago.
So, that knife cuts both ways.

You're always free to consult with a couple of labor or employment attorneys in your county.

The initial visit is normally offered free of charge.

If you initiate a lawsuit, it'll open up your entire life.
Now, if the potential prize was worth several million, that might be worth the risk.
If you're looking at $5,000, even $10,000, is chasing that worth having your life exposed for all to see?

I'd get the letter just to make the immediate problem go away.
However,if some lawyer thinks your case could be worth $100,000,000, the letter simply makes your case better.

In the meantime, think about your next teaching or professional position, your reputation. You don't want this school trashing your reputation to a prospective employer.

There are two people walking a tightrope, the busybody administrator, and you; the innocent teacher.

In the future, don't discuss ANY aspect of your private life with anyone at work, if you wish to retain your privacy.

Talk about the weather, a new movie, pretty flowers, a paper written by a good student, but never discuss yourself.

I am wondering if it was legal for her to place me on administrative leave without pay simply for admitting that I have depression? Please help me. I know she is dancing on a legal line here

There isn't any. Employment at will.

Understand this: Leave without pay is a termination. File for unemployment ASAP so you don't lose any benefits and look for another job. This one's over.

There is not anything illegal to put you on unpaid administrative leave. Sorry.

Back