Unjust School Dismissal

Ke022791

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
I am unsure if this is the appropriate section for my predicament, however I am hoping if it is not, I can be pointed in the right direction.

I have attended Kaplan University online for just over a year. Due to personal circumstances coupled with a necessary class not available in time, I was dismissed from the college. I immediately appealed this decision, which was approved by the Dean due to the class not being offered and I re-entered in February 2017. Because of the dismissal, I was on academic probation and was given the guidelines of: achieve a term GPA of at least a 2.5 and pass all classes in order to remain enrolled. Prior to the end of the last term, I emailed my advisor to ensure that my current grades (A and a D) would be enough to satisfy these requirements. I was explicitly told that they would.

Shortly after the end of the term, I received a notice of my dismissal for not achieving a 2.5. I emailed my advisor who then told me that Kaplan's GPA is configured using "quality grade points" and in fact an A and a D was not a 2.5. After questioning my dismissal, I was told that I could not appeal the decision (due to the previous appeal) and my advisor's incorrect advice was not acknowledged. I was told that my credits may be transferable to another college, and was wished good luck.

Last edited:
Did you have a question? o_O
Yes, Kaplan U. is within the law, and you more than likely have a contract that says that their decisions are final, too bad, so sad.

Colleges and school have great leeway in the way they run their businesses.

Nothing to see here, nothing to constitute a legal issue here, as the University is right as beautiful morning sunrise across the West Texas Prairie.

I was given incorrect information by an advisor once. The college apologized for the mistake, but they could not/would not change their academic requirements because of an error on the part of the advisor.

Back