University's new administrator wants to take back my private lab space

vancontrol

I am a tenured professor at a private university in the US. My research requires dedicated lab space. Around ten years ago, when I was first hired, the offer letter stated that the university would provide me with X sqft of research space appropriate for my research activities so that I can establish my lab. I have worked there over the years, received significant research funding and tenure, and consistently received confirmation from administrators that the lab space was intended for my exclusive use. I have also been actively using the space. However, recently the new administrator from the university informed me that they intend to eliminate private lab spaces and instead create a shared space for multiple faculty members to utilize. Unfortunately, my research cannot proceed without a private space. My question is: Does the original countersigned offer letter constitute any kind of contract and would it, in conjunction with the written confirmations received from previous administrators offer me a basis for pushing back against the new administrators' plan to take the space away?

Your matter is beyond the scope of an internet forum and should be reviewed by a local attorney.

Does the original countersigned offer letter constitute any kind of contract and would it, in conjunction with the written confirmations received from previous administrators offer me a basis for pushing back against the new administrators' plan to take the space away?

Probably not.

Do you have a contract, with a specific duration (from - to) that specifies the private lab space and the conditions under which it can be rescinded?

Does the original countersigned offer letter constitute any kind of contract and would it, in conjunction with the written confirmations received from previous administrators offer me a basis for pushing back against the new administrators' plan to take the space away?

There is no way that anyone who hadn't read these documents can speak intelligently about their legal effect.

Back