Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Unintentionly providing false statement on a firearms background check

• Thread Starter Justice for all
  • Start date
J

Justice for all

Jurisdiction
Virginia
my girlfriend and I were black Friday shopping at a gun store for a present for myself. I wanted to purchase a firearm to protect our new home with so after filling out the paper work we had left as they were just closing for the night.

The next day I was informed that my background check failed and was advised to contact a number and a lady informed me i was denied because of some felony charges i received when i was 14 or 15. I had no idea that these old charges were felonies and from what i can remember my probation officer at the time informed me that i was not proven guilty just "not innocent" and that the charges would be expunged from my record when i turn 18 and there was nothing else I had to worry about.

I voted for the 1st time this year reinforcing the fact and I have also been chosen randomly for jury duty in 2017 leading me to believe my probation officer was correct about it being expunged. The State police women i spoke with said since i have tried to purchase a firearm that i would be investigated by them and it would lead to possible charges.

After finding this all out i looked into rights restoration for firearms, and i am more than likely elligable to have the restrictions removed from my record, reinforcing the fact that i am a rehabilitated law abiding citizen. But I am afraid my lack of knowledge of my juvenile record has opened up a world of hurt that will cost me everything I've worked so hard for as an adult.

What should I do?
What can I do?
What kind of trouble will this cause?
On average how much does this kind of thing cost?

What should I do?
What can I do?
What kind of trouble will this cause?
On average how much does this kind of thing cost?

Juveniles don't get charged with crimes, much less crimes that distinguish between felony and misdemeanor.
Juveniles are said to be delinquent.
There is never a finding of guilt in any matter before a juvenile court.
Some juveniles are originally treated juveniles, upon further finding the juvenile court binds the minor over to adult court, thereupon felony crimes are charged.

In the instant case at hand, you may have been one of those exceptions.
Had you been treated as a juvenile, you'd have no record, much less any finding of guilt.
Juveniles are adjudicated, treated, remeditated, and eventually adjudicated; meaning the court addressed the issue.

I suggest you endeavor to request all court records relative to your juvenile issues.
You are entitled to copies of your juvenile records.

Occasionally, those records checks make mistakes for any number of reasons.

Lastly, you may very well have been convicted of a felony, not as a juvenile (because such finding is impossible) BUT in an adult court as an adult.

In the matter that you describe, ATF agents come calling to arrest you.
If you lied on the form, even unintentionally, you tend to get charged.
All you can do is wait and see what happens, but collect the information so you'll know what happened when.

If a federal agent, or any law enforcement officer approaches you about this (or any matter), you're best served to be polite, remain calm, cooperate, but politely say, "Under advice of counsel, I invoke my Miranda Rights, and declare I can't discuss any matter without an attorney present."

Then, no matter what tricks are deployed, keep repeating that you INVOKE and wish to remain silent.

Some people say, "I invoke and choose to remain mute."

Back