Uniform Policy Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

security

Private Security Firm in California requires that employees wear company provided uniforms while on duty. All employees were required as a condition of employement to sign an agreement that stated if uniforms were not returned upon termination or resignation the following amounts would be withheld from our final paycheck or court action would be taken against us to recover company losses.

Badge: $200 + They would also report us to the BSIS and FBI and have our Guard Card revoked.
Pants: $32 per pair.
Shirt: $27 per shirt
I forgot the price of the jacket.

I traced the equipment to the uniform supplier just by the tags on the shirts and pants. The badge I have is generic and is also in the catalog. The catalog lists the price of the badge as being $5.99 ea. The shirts cost $8.50 and the pants cost $9.00.

Also I was told that the site I work at required that I carry handcuffs. I was told that if I did not have handcuffs I would need to buy some before I began working. The company sold me handcuffs for $25. The catalog which all other equipment that my company provides listed the exact same handcuffs for $8.99.

We also carry a proxyguard baton. Pretty much I tap the end of the baton on points placed in different locations at my site and it tracks where I was at specific times. We were told if we lost or damaged this baton we would have $300 deducted from our paycheck however the company would pay for the rest of the losses related to the loss of the baton. The entire proxyguard system with baton and check points sells in the same catalog for $189.

Every other private security company that I have worked for in CA provided all required equipment free of charge. Any other company never gave any employees problems about damaging company property unless they believed it was done purposfully. The reason I brought up the baton was because my company threatened to withhold $300 from my next check because supposedly the baton broke while I was doing my patrol. Fortunately, I replaced the battery which fixed the problem.

Is this legal. It just seems really sketchy. Like the company I work for tries to make money off their employees. Now I work 3 hours per day, six days per week and $300 is almost my whole check.

Such a deduction from pay, even if allowed by CA law (I'll get back to that in a second) cannot reduce your pay to below minimum wage nor can the deduction be made from overtime wages (which don't seem to be an issue in your situation). That is federal law.

Here are the rules regarding deductions from pay in California, which is arguably the most employee-friendly in the US.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm

Now, could they sue you? Sure. Would they win? Maybe. However, I doubt very seriously that even if they would win, a judge would allow the amount to be any more than the actual replacement cost.

Employers must normally absorb the cost of broken items, money shortages, etc as the cost of doing business. Unless the employer shows you acted with "gross negligence" or the act was intentional or willful, then they will not be able to recover their losses. Further, the employer normally needs to provide tools for the job (e.g. handcuffs) unless you make at least twice the minimum wage you may have to provide your own but they certainly cannot force you to purchase it from them. However, I'm not sure if handcuffs qualify as the tools an employee would need to furnish. I will see what info I can find or you may want to contact the DLSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back