unfairly fired

supermom3

I am a struggling single mother with 3 kids that works hard to support my family with out any outside support. Desperate for work I was hired to work a shutdown in Georgia by a company I previously worked for on 2 other ones in 2 different states. I drove over to Georgia from Mississippi on Thursday expecting to start working the next day. They postponed my start day 4days. I finally was told to come in on Tuesday filled out my paperwork and completed a 12hr shift. The next day I wad told I couldn't work because my name on my Social security card has my maiden name and my drivers license has my maiden name and married name on it. There was no problem on the last job I worked so when I was told I couldn't work because they don't match I asked why and the office manager yelled at me and hung up with no explanation. I called the IRS to ask if that was illegal and I was told no. There was an area on the paperwork that said to check if your name is different on your ID than. your ss card. I didn't receive my travel pay nor receive my paycheck when they told me I was fired which left me stranded since I used all the money I had to get to this job. I feel like I have been treated wrong and unfair can you please tell me if there is something I can do. Thank you.

Sorry, nothing illegal here, just a bit of impoliteness on the part of the employer.

Last edited:
Agreed and unfortunate. If you really want to work there then you may want to find out who else you could speak to regarding employment matters. However, with an office manager that is so irate and with such a long drive, it may be a blessing in disguise to find work that is more central to your location. Good luck.

I am a struggling single mother with 3 kids that works hard to support my family with out any outside support. Desperate for work I was hired to work a shutdown in Georgia by a company I previously worked for on 2 other ones in 2 different states. I drove over to Georgia from Mississippi on Thursday expecting to start working the next day. They postponed my start day 4days. I finally was told to come in on Tuesday filled out my paperwork and completed a 12hr shift. The next day I wad told I couldn't work because my name on my Social security card has my maiden name and my drivers license has my maiden name and married name on it. There was no problem on the last job I worked so when I was told I couldn't work because they don't match I asked why and the office manager yelled at me and hung up with no explanation. I called the IRS to ask if that was illegal and I was told no. There was an area on the paperwork that said to
check if your name is different on your ID than. your ss card. I didn't receive my travel pay nor receive my paycheck when they told me I was fired which left me stranded since I used all the money I had to get to this job. I feel like I have been treated wrong and unfair can you please tell me if there is something I can do. Thank you.

Are you still missing any wages due you? If so, the Ga. DOL is very weak on handling wage claims/complaints. They would most likely just refer your claim to the federal DOL. You might consider filing a claim for wages due in small claims court.

The issue is not with the IRS, but with ICE, or whatever initials that agency is using these days. Sounds as if your List B document and your List C document did not match.

Back