unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

babiesrfragile

I was wondering my chances in a situation where I had been recieving unemployment for 6 months in 2007 I found a job in September of 2007 however 2 months into the job I found out they were closing the business down in a month I ended up finding another job 10 days before the business was to close. When I asked the unemployment office about my eligibility for unemployment they said I would be ineligible until February of 2008. Well, the temp job I had was done in Feb. 2008 I applied for Unemployment and the business that closed contested it and said I quit. Does anybody think I stand a chance of getting unemployment?? I have 3 children to take care of and never would have accepted the position if I new that the other company would have contested it.:confused:

What state are you in, and did you give notice or just leave and start the new job? Is the employer that is contesting still open? If they did close, how long after you left for the new employment? Have you talked with the unemployment staff about your situation?

I am in Iowa, I found out I had the position on the 29th of November and it would start the 4th of December, I told them that the 29th of November would be my last day. The business I was working for was to close on December 14th. They put that I quit on the 30th of November. The business closed down permanently December 14th 2008.

Last edited:
Quiting a job to gain better employment especially when the company is closing is should not keep you from receiving your benefits. How long were you at the job that you started Dec 4?

All you can do is apply and, if the decision goes against you, appeal. There is no penalty for being wrong.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what we think your chances are. The state is the only one who has a vote that counts.

CBG, I was not suggesting that my thoughts could or would effect the out come of this case. Quiting a job that is already ending for better employment is an acceptable reason to seek and accept new employment. Each state has their own rules on this subject. I am just asking questions to help this poster work through the details to remain informed and focused on the case and she can arm themselves with knowledge on this subject which is the whole point of this site.
To the poster of the thread, have you read through the handbook for the unemployment agency in your state yet? That resource will answer many questions for you.

Yes, i have read the booklet they mail you. I am just curious as to what they mean by "Have lost your job through no fault of my own" But like CBG said it is ultimately the states decision or opinion whether or not they would say it's "my fault". I would personally see it as not my fault but I was given no choice since I HAD to find another job since they were closing and I would not have been immediately eligible for unemployment.

I did apply and they mailed me a statement showing the amouints I was eligible for its just that I have a fact-finding interview because of the fact that I quit the job that was closing for a better job. Also, I do beleive that no matter what any time you quit a job in iowa it's automatically contested for a fact finding interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back