Unemployment insurance

kmurphy40

The security company that I work for lost the contract at a warehouse where I was employed, the security company offered me a position but it's too far, can I still qualify for unemployment insurance if I turn down the position?

Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That is far too state- and situation- specific for a message board to call. In fact, even the UI office of your unnamed state won't give you an answer on that question until after you've turned it down and filed a claim. By which time you're out of luck if the answer is no.

But I will give you one piece of advice. If you're going to turn it down, don't work at the new job/location for even one day. If you do, you are essentially saying that the terms are agreeable, and you're pretty much guaranteed a denial of UI if you later quit saying it's too far.

Agree with the above but unless "too far" is totally not feasible, you might consider accepting the offer and looking for another job in the meantime. If it is within not uncommon commuting distance from your home, your chances of getting UI decrease substantially. Where I am, commutes of an hour + are extremely common.

The security company that I work for lost the contract at a warehouse where I was employed, the security company offered me a position but it's too far, can I still qualify for unemployment insurance if I turn down the position?

Your most accurate answer will come from the representative of your state's UI agency that is assigned to your account.

You can also ask your questions for FREE using the state's toll free number:

EDD representatives are available by phone at the following numbers from 8 a.m. to 12 noon (Pacific time), Monday through Friday, except on state holidays.

English: 1-800-300-5616
Spanish: 1-800-326-8937
Cantonese: 1-800-547-3506
Mandarin: 1-866-303-0706
Vietnamese: 1-800-547-2058

You can also ask your questions online:

EDD Online Services

Unemployment Insurance (UI) Online

I agree.
There is a difference between an unreasonably far distance and an inconvenient distance.
If you think you can reasonably argue that the distance is too far rather than just inconvenient then you may have a better claim- but you have no way to know how the person handling the claim will view it.
Accepting the position temporarily while you look for new employment would bring in more money than UI, so give it consideration.

I'll just throw in here that I spend over two hours EACH WAY commuting to and from work, and I don't even have the longest commute in the office. What is considered reasonable is VERY state and regionally specific.

Back