1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Unemployment Appeals Case in NC Still Going...

Discussion in 'Unemployment Insurance & Benefits' started by DC77, Mar 1, 2022.

  1. DC77

    DC77 Law Topic Starter Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Hi All! This is the case that hasn't died! Many of you answered my previous post about a former employer appealing the unemployment I received over a year ago... I have new questions.

    I went ahead and filed for an appeal of the adjudicator's determination. If anything, to get the date of perceived separation correct. They bumped it forward by an entire month! (Thats about $1,600 worth). But I'm still fighting that I continued working there for 2 months after an initial notice to leave. The appeal is still in process, and I still have additional appeals rights. BUT they are moving forward with overpayment collection anyways. And have given me a ridiculously impossible payment plan. Question 1, don't they have to wait until the appeals process is complete??

    Two, I can't file for a waiver of forgiveness or payment plan until the final decision is made on the appeals. Or else I give up my appeals rights and case is closed. I'm still waiting on the appeals. So what can I do about the overpayment they want in 20 days??

    OFCOURSE, you can't get ahold of ANYONE by phone AND they've disconnected their customer service email and chat. This is so dirty! armyjudge hit the nail on the head, they really aren't out to be helpful or play fair. So last question, are we completely powerless? Or is there a government entity to send complaints to?? I know I'm not the only one in a mess like this! And I wouldn't even be in this mess if they were competent to begin with.
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    North Carolina.

    Previous thread with background:

    Former Employer Filed an Appeal

    Pay what you can, when you can. As long as you're paying something, even smaller than required, you might only get letters.

    Paying nothing is the most dangerous thing you can do.

    It's a government bureaucracy. You aren't going to change what's happening to you.

    Continue with your appeal process. If there is a decision in your favor, you'll get a refund.
    DC77 likes this.
  3. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I only call "balls and strikes".
    I call 'em the way I see 'em.

    Generally, the little people get screwed.
    To paraphrase that great fire fighting bear, "Only YOU can protect yourself!"

    Kind of...

    You can seek help from your state representative, state senator, or governor.

    Get busy writing to each of them.

    You never know, lightening just might strike!
    DC77 likes this.

Share This Page