Unemployment after quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncampbebg

I am currently under contract with my employer for tuition reimbursement. I have to work there for a year after I graduate or I have to pay back whatever tuition money they have given me in the last year of employment. My job has become three positions combined because of layoffs, yet they refuse to give me a reasonable raise. I have so many responsabilities I cannot keep up with them and I am picking up after two other employees who can't handle their jobs either. The manager actually told my supervisor that they weren't going to invest any money in me because I am just going to leave anyways. What can I do about this? What kind of burden of proof do I have to show if I quit this job and try to collect unemployment?

Yes, you can get unemployment if you quit, depending on the reasons and your state unemployment laws, etc. (I did)

Always wise to do what you can to hang onto your job if possible, however, it would be best to speak to an employment law atty in your area before making any decisions. Most will provide free initial consultations.

That is determined by case law and the unemployment judge, not the employer.

No, it's determined by the UI law, unless it gets to the final stage of appeal. I know the employer does not make the decision, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. The OP's chances of getting unemployment if he quits over this issue are virtually NIL. And I challenge you to prove otherwise.

If he/she quit, may the applicant be eligible for benefits?

An applicant's unemployment must not be his/her fault. If the applicant quit a job when the option of remaining employed existed, he/she has caused the unemployment. To establish eligibility, the applicant must show that he/she had "just cause" for leaving the job.

Examples of "just cause" may include such reasons as:
■The worker's health was endangered or he/she was physically unable to do the work. The worker notified the employer with a medical statement before quitting and gave the employer reasonable time to find other suitable work for him/her.
■The employer refused to meet conditions of the hiring agreement, such as hours or wages.
■The employer refused to provide legally-required safety equipment or measures.
■The employer required the worker to perform work that violated accepted moral or legal standards.
■The applicant must provide information showing that he/she had "just cause" for quitting the employment.
http://jfs.ohio.gov/unemp_comp_faq/faq_elig_reason.stm#quit

Last edited:
Most of you will find that everything will depend on your ability to PROVE that quitting was attributable to the work, a boss, a working condition and that the proof is found in your efforts to preserve the employment. In fact, this is often necessary for the reasons of health and moving to follow a spouse or other compelling family reasons to quit your job.

Did anyone read the cite I provided above? "Lots of work" is not a qualifying reason to quit and get UI. Merely "uncomfortable working conditions" is not a qualifying reaon to quit and get UI. But hey, OP, if you want to take the chance, be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back