Unemployed husband/martial assests

C

Challenger2

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Hello,

I was married 3 years ago, my husband has only had a job for a year of that time. He got an inheritance 2 years ago for 80k$ he has very bad credit, so he gave me 50k$ so I could buy us a house and because he was unemployed making me work full time to support us both. In this time he was addicted to drugs and drinking. I used the money he gave me a bought a house, a down payment. The house is in my name, my credit only, and I pay the mortgage every month. He is unemployed again and I need to leave him. Im scared I won't be able to keep my house. The house can't be sold for enough to get back that 50k to split between us due to damage he has caused. I have held my job for 5 years, and i pay all our bills. What can I do?

Hello,

I was married 3 years ago, my husband has only had a job for a year of that time. He got an inheritance 2 years ago for 80k$ he has very bad credit, so he gave me 50k$ so I could buy us a house and because he was unemployed making me work full time to support us both. In this time he was addicted to drugs and drinking. I used the money he gave me a bought a house, a down payment. The house is in my name, my credit only, and I pay the mortgage every month. He is unemployed again and I need to leave him. Im scared I won't be able to keep my house. The house can't be sold for enough to get back that 50k to split between us due to damage he has caused. I have held my job for 5 years, and i pay all our bills. What can I do?

You could do many things.
If I were you, since it was his 50 large anyway, I'd consider the mortgage as rent.
I'd leave the doper ASAP, get settled in somewhere he didn't know about, and start a divorce action against the doper.
Then I'd file for bankruptcy, chapter 7 for me ONLY, and start getting my life straiught.

If the house is solely in your name, bought with a gift from him, it is your house. You should talk to a lawyer about the general division of marital assets should you divorce.

Back