Underage possession of a handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattDamon

I tried asking this question on a similar kind of legal forum, and was met with mockery and too many people who did not understand anything surrounding the question or the subject matter. I figured I'd try my luck here with a new community. I'm 16, and I've grown up hunting and hiking in California my entire life. I'm interested in going overnight hiking. I haven't decided whether or not I will, but if I did, I'd want to carry a handgun with me. I'm aware that 21 is the legal age that I can own and be in possession of a handgun...but at the same time, I know there are some gray areas where the lines get blurred sometimes. If you're native here, you'll know that bear and coyote populations are on a steady rise, which also increases the statistics of an attack. It's a long shot, but It would be nice to know. Thank you.

We all get that crazy idea and try to rationalize it. This is one of those crazy ideas.
Yes, there are dangerous things in those woods.
I live in the city, and also on a ranch.
I spent 30 years in the Army.
I'm a retired judge, too.
I don't carry a gun, but maintain a gun collection, locked unless I unlock it.
I can legally carry a gun in Texas, probably in other states, too.
I've never bothered to find out, because I refuse to carry any gun.

You aren't allowed to own a handgun in CA at your age.
In fact, you must be 18 (at a minimum) to own a handgun in every state of this nation.

http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-firearms-policy-summary/

First you should discuss this with your parents, not strangers.
Second, after that discussion, dismiss the idea of carrying a handgun anywhere.
Third, I know people that would disarms you quicker than you could draw that handgun.
Fourth, shooting a paper silhouette doesn't compare to dropping the hammer and busting "caps all up in dat carcASS".
Fifth, no one on this site is going to tell you it's okay to break any law, especially one of this gravity and moment.
Sixth, why not ask dad, an adult brother or sister, your mom, or another trusted adult (with mom and dad's permission) to accompany you.
Seventh, no one can prevent anyone from doing anything, but the end result can make you reject a foolish choice.
Good luck, young man, be safe out there.

Enjoying those wide open spaces all over this planet are adventures and memories galore.

And the answer is the same as I gave you on that forum.

No, there is no grey area that will allow you to carry a handgun until you reach the legal age to do so. The law does not say, if you deliberately and knowingly put yourself in a dangerous situation when you are too young to carry a weapon, the age limitation is waived.

When you are 21, you may carry anything that the laws of your state permit. Until then, the answer is NO no matter what the situation.

And the answer is the same as I gave you on that forum.

No, there is no grey area that will allow you to carry a handgun until you reach the legal age to do so. The law does not say, if you deliberately and knowingly put yourself in a dangerous situation when you are too young to carry a weapon, the age limitation is waived.

When you are 21, you may carry anything that the laws of your state permit. Until then, the answer is NO no matter what the situation.

I've never understood the fascination with handguns, and other such weaponry.

I'm not ragging on anyone's rights, frankly I don't care who packs, that's the job of the people in blue to police.

I'm continually amazed at how some people can't walk around the block unless they're strapped.

There's a great deal of ignorance about firearms.

No one with a brain, would rely on a pistol as a defensive weapon in the forest. A secondary weapon, maybe, but not a primary.

Plus, if the law says no, there's no legal way to do it.

It's the same thing with those creepy pervs eyeballing and diddling little kids.

Leave it be, fool, it's untouchable.

Last edited:
AJ, on this I agree with you completely.

I am not even remotely interested in guns. If you are (that's the generic you), I have no quarrel with your owning one. If you like target shooting, or hunting, or if you live where you feel you need one for defense, that's fine with me. If you want one just because you can, I don't have a problem with that either. As long as you can legally own one, that's all I care about. (I have rather stronger feelings on the matter of a private citizen who feels they need an AK-47, but that's a different thread.)

But I honestly do not understand the fascination.

I don't understand the fascination either & I have no gun. (& neither brother ever had one)

Yes you can.
Penal Code 29615 provides exceptions which allow for a minor to carry a firearm. The real question here is whether the intended hiking qualifies as a "sport" and the possession of the firearm is necessary for that sport. With the examples given in the code I would accept the possession while hiking as one of these exceptions. You can verify with your county sheriff if they feel the same way. An easy remedy is to go "hunting" rather than "hiking". If you are hiking on federal lands then the rules may be different.

Being 16 you only need written permission to carry from a parent or guardian, and to be engaged in the activity or directly in transit to or from it.

PENAL CODE*
SECTION 29610-29615*

29610. A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

29615. Section 29610 shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(a) The minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves this use of a firearm.
(b) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(c) The minor is at least 16 years of age, the minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(d) The minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, the minor is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by the parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

An after thought... the above code only applies to concealable firearms. You could easily carry a rifle or shotgun without concern of breaking the law, and without written consent.
There are many laws controlling how weapons may be carried and when the may and may not be loaded. I suggest you become familiar with these laws before carrying a firearm in a public place.

Last edited:
THANKYOU! This is exactly what I was hoping for. You actually answered my question without judging my character. You get a thousand thumbs up sir. I probably will end up carrying my 30-06 any-who, and going with my father, but my curiosities have been indulged. I cannot stress to you enough how excellent this answer was. Thank you, once again.
Yes you can.
Penal Code 29615 provides exceptions which allow for a minor to carry a firearm. The real question here is whether the intended hiking qualifies as a "sport" and the possession of the firearm is necessary for that sport. With the examples given in the code I would accept the possession while hiking as one of these exceptions. You can verify with your county sheriff if they feel the same way. An easy remedy is to go "hunting" rather than "hiking". If you are hiking on federal lands then the rules may be different.

Being 16 you only need written permission to carry from a parent or guardian, and to be engaged in the activity or directly in transit to or from it.

PENAL CODE*
SECTION 29610-29615*

29610. A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

29615. Section 29610 shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(a) The minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves this use of a firearm.
(b) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(c) The minor is at least 16 years of age, the minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(d) The minor has the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian, the minor is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by the parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

I didn't see anyone, here or elsewhere, judging your character.

Let him strike back in a cloud of keystroke invective at those who failed him.

My wife was on a jury and understood the exception in his case. Her not guilty vote hung the jury. The problem for the defendant was,the persecutor brought the new charges at his next trial. In that one,he was convicted. It'll take a Supreme Court decision to overturn his conviction. Assuming the SC grants cert in 10-12 years. In the meantime, he's doing 5-7 in a Texas prison.

It's best not to try the police, and especially the persecutor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back