Uncomfortable working situation. Company is trying to make me quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

safn47116

I sent an email to my supervisor and my human resources representative on Monday night regarding my concerns about my supervisor's unprofessional conduct last week when she travelled with me.

Here is what ocurred:
-She was speaking about peers and their performance issues (explaining why peers were let go, i.e. they were "an alcoholic" had "mommy issues", etc.)
-She used unprofessional language (she told me that she was worried that I might bring a "pistol down to the lobby" in the morning when I met her, etc.)
-She tried to deliver a corrective action for something hat has not occurred (she assumed an EEOC charge was going to come from one of my stores) and she tried to get me to sign a performance review with below standard ratings, but a 3 overall (average performance...on a scale of 1-5) and said she could have given me a 2 (below standards), but gave me a full merit increase for a 3. I signed nothing.

Today I was in an "investigation" for 5 hours and at the end I basically was told by the VP/General Counsel that I could quit (he said that maybe next Monday I'll decide that "this isn't for me") or continue to work with my supervisor. He wants my answer by Monday.

The VP/General Counsel expressed that the email I sent regarding my concerns put the Company at risk. He said this is all perception. He said that I said some of the things I am accusing her of ("mommy issues", etc.), which is not true. We went line by line through my email and he even brought in my supervisor to have us talk face to face and deliver my performance review again. She tried to get me to sign the performance review again (during the "investigation") and I would not because it was not accurate and they had no rebuttal. She did admit to saying she thought I was going to "back over" her with my car, but was being funny. She said that she was using humor ("back over" her with my car) and peer comparisons (why peers were let go) as a "tactic" to communicate with me better. Her humor was not funny. She said that she takes responsibility for last week and wants to "move on". I feel for someone that has been a Sr. VP of Stores in the past and has been in retail for 20 + years, she should not use "tactics" and treat me unprofessionally and we shouldn't have to "move on".

I don't want to quit. She made me uncomfortable and I feel she will retaliate, so I don't feel like I should be placed in that type of environment (her as my supervisor). I have to meet at the home office again on Monday and they will try to get me to quit, which I will not and I can not say that I can't work with her because then they'll say then I guess you'll have to leave.

What should I do? I think severance is the best outcom here, but they have not mentioned it yet.

Notes: I am a retail district manager (~80K per year) and my supervisor is a VP of Operations. I am male and my supervisor is female. I am under 40 years old and she is over 40 years old. We are both Caucasian and heterosexual. I've been here 12 years and my supervisor has been here 8 months. I have had average to above average performance reviews. My supervisor's supervisor (Sr. VP of Stores) is female and so is my HR representative and all 3 worked for the same previous employer.

You've boxed yourself into a very tight corner.

I hope you know that an employer is not required to justify why an employee is terminated.

As an at-will employee, you can be terminated anytime.

You can also terminate your employment at any time.

The things that seemed to have troubled you, got you into this mess.

Your recalcitrance continues to cause you great harm.

No one can tell you what you should do.

Had I been faced with the choice to sign a performance review, I would have signed.

Your signature does not mean you agree with everything on the form. Your signature means the information on the form has been disclosed to you. You are always allowed to present a contradictory view.

That's often useless. The decision has been made. Your argument to the contrary won't change a thing.

If you persist, there'll be a severance alright, the severance of your employment relationship. Don't expect a golden parachute at this point, expect a pink slip.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to rectify things. However, after today's events, that may no longer be possible.

One final note on this fiasco.

The company's actions seemed predicated on fixing any rifts.

Your sanctimonious self righteous attitude didn't help you.

The company doesn't need to get you to quit.

If they want you gone, all they have to do is fire you.

The fact that they decided to mediate things tells me they wanted to work with you. They tried to rectify things. You refused to meet them halfway. That could be your undoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back