Unauthorized Tenant Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

donmoi

This is a commercial lease. I visited the tenant's business and discovered he had made some major changes to the interior of the building. The lease clearly indicates that no alteration should be made without prior written consent. While I have no problem with the alterations that have taken place, I would like to document this breach some certain way. If I were to write a letter, what kind of information or warning do I need to include? Also, the interior finishes were not completely done as in sheetrock not painted, doors not framed. Can I require him to finish it to my satisfaction?

You must use the clause on your commercial lease that lists that no alterations should take place on the property without written consent as reference. As far as a warning, if you don't have a problem with the alterations, you should say that future alterations must be communicated to you, in writing, otherwise you will take immediate action such as a fine or whatever the landlord/tenant law of your state allows you to do. Finally, as far as how the finish is, you can ask him to finish it to your satisfaction as long as you and your tenant come to an agreement, documented in writing, on how it should be done. Your tenant is only obligated to do it to the same standard he found the finish when he moved into on your property. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back