UK Citizen, live in UK. Can I be forced to appear at a civil trial in LA.

L

lolatiger 4

Jurisdiction
California

I am being sued in LA, I hired a car with the hire car insurance company Hertz and unfortunately had a minor accident whilst driving in California 3 years ago. I paid the full Hertz insurance and have a lawyer defending the case and have helped with all the enquiries including a very stressful deposition video interview with the prosecution, who made me feel like a criminal. Of course our stories differ, the other person is claiming compensation because he now apparently has 'life changing injuries', he has even conjured up a witness to back his story even though there was no-one else around! He obviously wants a lot of money and he won't settle and the case is now going to court. I was stationary, he was on a motorbike and drove into me as I was turning right at traffic lights. He was absolutely fine after the accident. No ambulance, no damage what so ever to the hire car, it was reported to police, the officer does not remember the incident, it was so minor. I even gave him a lift to his college as he was on his way to enrol and met his teacher because his bike did have a little bit of damage to his wheel, fair enough. The prosecution has 'requested' I attend court in TWO weeks time, expenses paid. I have work commitments, and diploma exams at this time and my employers have no idea what I've been going through for 18 months. This case has caused me so much stress and anxiety I am now at the end of my tether, I cannot cope with the flight (fear of flying, have not ever done this alone) let alone stand in court and be made to look like a criminal. I now have depression, my doc has prescribed me antidepressant/ anxiety drugs for the first time in my life. I need to know what will happen to me if I don't physically go to the hearing. Can I be made liable for paying anything? I have no money. Thank you in advance for any advise, I have no one to talk to hear in the UK regarding the law in USA.

You have an attorney. I suggest you take that attorney's advice. It would be inappropriate for any of us to advise you any differently.

Can I be made liable for paying anything? I have no money. Thank you in advance for any advise, I have no one to talk to hear in the UK regarding the law in USA.

Ask the lawyer if Hertz will pay for a companion to travel with you.
I've often allowed for the travel expenses of a companion for people who express the concerns you do.

You should also ask the lawyer to supply proof of the legal proceeding to your employer and school.

Whatever you do, don't blow this off. If Hertz loses because you fail to show, it could cause you consequences greater than you can comprehend.

Again, make your concerns and needs known to the lawyer.

Ask the lawyer if Hertz will pay for a companion to travel with you.
I've often allowed for the travel expenses of a companion for people who express the concerns you do.

You should also ask the lawyer to supply proof of the legal proceeding to your employer and school.

Whatever you do, don't blow this off. If Hertz loses because you fail to show, it could cause you consequences greater than you can comprehend.

Again, make your concerns and needs known to the lawyer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your thoughts. I will take this on board,
The following : "If Hertz loses because you fail to show, it could cause you consequences greater than you can comprehend." I don't quite understand what you mean could you explain in more detail what consequences could this cause please?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your thoughts. I will take this on board,
The following : "If Hertz loses because you fail to show, it could cause you consequences greater than you can comprehend." I don't quite understand what you mean could you explain in more detail what consequences could this cause please?

I suggest you ask the lawyer that Hertz provided to assist you defend the scurrilous charges made by the potential scammer.

Back