tuition reimbursement

Status
Not open for further replies.

meisha6

I was employed as a Floor Supervisor when I applied for a different supervisor job in the same Co. My employer offered me the job but said I had to pursue a degree in which they would pay the tuition. I agreed & signed the offer letter. I did my job & got my degree. After starting the new position & school,They made me sign an education assistance agreement saying I would stay 3 years after last payment. This was a year and a half after start of new position & school. Two weeks after I recieved my degree they eliminated my position & put me back on the floor. I want to take a position in another Co. but dont have the money to pay back tuition. Will the reimbursement agreement hold up in court? I didnt need a degree for my floor supers job & only pursued further education because they required it for new position ...then eliminated the position. I asked for a copy of offer agreement & it has mysteriously disappeared from their files. The person who hired me & presented the offer,said school was a condition of that position & would testify if needed. They didnt present the reimbursement agreement until I was already 4 semesters in school. Do I have a chance of getting out of this?

I don't know if it will hold up in court or not.

Since it seems to have disappeared, what document would they produce in court?

The missing document is the original job offer that stated they would give me the position but I had to pursue a degree & they would pay tuition. The manager that drew up the offer remembers the terms of the position & will testify to its contents. They do have the tuition reimbursement agreement that came a year later which states I have to stay 3yrs or payback tuition. The tuition agreement doesn't say how it has to be paid back ( lump sum, payments or time frame) I've been with this company 20 yrs & received promotions without a degree. The only reason I went back to school was because the manager of this department put it in the terms for this position. They eliminated the position after I completed my degree. I wouldn't be leaving if my position was still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back