Trying too obtain car title from Personal owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmarshall

Hi, I need some advice. I purchased a car about 8 months ago from a private owner and has been trying to obtain the title ever since. I still owe $240.00 on the car but the owner told me to hold on too the money until he gets the duplicate title. It's now been 8 months and I can't register the car or do anything with it until we get the title from the owner. It seems like he's giving me the run around and has no intentions of obtaining the duplicate title. I live in Florida but the car was registered in Pennsylvania therefore the Title has to come from PA. Can I take this too a small claims court or what is the best way to go about doing this.

Thanks,

Do you know that the seller was the legal owner?

You should run a CarFax on the car, immediately.

It doesn't take eight months to do this.

I'll bet there is a big problem with the title.

That is why the guy wants you to hang on to the $240!!!

You might also have the police run the VIN or try your state's DMV.

You could also reach out to PA and their DMV.

Small claims is a way to go, but prevailing there will not immediatley get you paid.

Small claims can order the seller to produce the title or return your money and you return him the car.

But, if the car is stolen, you might lose all the way around.

Better to know, than get caught with a stolen car!!!

In the future, don't buy cars from people you don't know.

Thank you so much for your response. The owner was actually a dude I knew, we lived in the same complex but I moved out. I did contact the PA dmv and they told me the car was registered in his name and he tried to obtain the Title in June of 09 but it was declined because he needed to have the paper work notarized.. He have not tried since then and is constantly telling me that he just reordered it again and it should be in the mail??? ...lol I do since there is a problem with him obtaining it but he just don't wanna come forward...thanks

I'll bet he owes some unpaid parking fines or fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send him a certified letter giving him 10 days to apply for a title or you will sue in small claims court. Receiving something in writing often motivates people to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back