Trying to help my Dad

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My Father is in the hospital he has stage 4 lung cancer. He is of sound mind. He gave his girlfriend POA and she has taken it upon herself to not allow his children contact with him. I have talked to my Father almost everyday up to a week ago. She is taking away valuable time from us. She even has gone as far as trying to get a restraining order against my sister that lives out there. What are our options? We are feeling so lost because we can't contact him or get medical updates.

My Father is in the hospital he has stage 4 lung cancer. He is of sound mind. He gave his girlfriend POA and she has taken it upon herself to not allow his children contact with him. I have talked to my Father almost everyday up to a week ago. She is taking away valuable time from us. She even has gone as far as trying to get a restraining order against my sister that lives out there. What are our options? We are feeling so lost because we can't contact him or get medical updates.

Have you spoken with the hospital to determine whether she has the appropriate documentation to do these things? If she is going to assert control she will have to produce documentation. Have you seen it and read it? Does it also give her control over medical issues?

Have you spoken with the hospital to determine whether she has the appropriate documentation to do these things? If she is going to assert control she will have to produce documentation. Have you seen it and read it? Does it also give her control over medical issues?
It gives her control over medical but she has to follow his wishes and discuss everything with him. The hospital won't even confirm he is there, but we know he is, because of the block. I have emailed them and am waiting on a response.

I do have a copy of it. I'm trying to determine if we can over ride her control on the communication. She has also had him sign everything over to her.

We'll look at it this way. If your father was of sound mind when he gave her this permission, then it is what he wants. If he is of sound mind he can also revoke the permission at any time.

We'll look at it this way. If your father was of sound mind when he gave her this permission, then it is what he wants. If he is of sound mind he can also revoke the permission at any time.
He doesn't know she did it. She has done this before when he was in the hospital. We didn't say anything because we didn't want to stress him. Now is a little different because we have limited time.

He gave it her to make his medical decisions if he can't. At this time he can make his decisions. She has gone to the hospital with out his knowing to put a block on his phone and visitors.

Most hospitals employ social workers.

I suggest you visit the hospital where your father is recuperating and speak with one of their social workers.

A social worker will attempt to resolve this issue amicably, and will keep your concerns confidential.

Physicians understand the importance and significance of a patient's loved ones can have in her/his recovery.

I agree, it is especially important for dad's children and grandchildren to be near him as he fights the most important battle of his life.

You can also speak with one of the hospital chaplains, who endeavor to sooth feelings and bring people together.

Most hospitals employ social workers.

I suggest you visit the hospital where your father is recuperating and speak with one of their social workers.

A social worker will attempt to resolve this issue amicably, and will keep your concerns confidential.

Physicians understand the importance and significance of a patient's loved ones can have in her/his recovery.

I agree, it is especially important for dad's children and grandchildren to be near him as he fights the most important battle of his life.

You can also speak with one of the hospital chaplains, who endeavor to sooth feelings and bring people together.
I will try both of those. It will be in a call since I'm in a different state.

How do you know that your father didn't specifically request these actions be taken?

It's not a snarky question...I am truly trying to flesh out the basis for your assumptions.

He's not like that. He wanted his children to be a part of it all. We are a very close family. My one sister and I talk to him every day until recently. He would never just cut us out. She has been like this since the day they got together. I thought she had changed and as soon as she got everything switch to her name she stopped talking to me and cut us all out.
How do you know that your father didn't specifically request these actions be taken?

It's not a snarky question...I am truly trying to flesh out the basis for your assumptions.

Back