Trying to get drivers licence back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy2453

I HAVE 11-12 tickets from 2008 that are in collections that is stopping me from getting my licence back, the problem is that the amount is 19,789.44 !!! Wow !! I CANT PAY THAT! I dont have an income cause I dont have a licence now. I could maybe scratch out 50.00 @ mo. But they will take no less then 200.00 @ mo.
My question is. . . Is there a statute of limitations? Won't those tickets drop off my Record after 7 yrs? Meaning I would only have to wait 1yr? Or can I file bankrupsey?

I HAVE 11-12 tickets from 2008 that are in collections that is stopping me from getting my licence back, the problem is that the amount is 19,789.44 !!! Wow !! I CANT PAY THAT! I dont have an income cause I dont have a licence now. I could maybe scratch out 50.00 @ mo. But they will take no less then 200.00 @ mo.
My question is. . . Is there a statute of limitations? Won't those tickets drop off my Record after 7 yrs? Meaning I would only have to wait 1yr? Or can I file bankrupsey?

Those tickets might NOT have cost you ONE DOLLAR, had you dealt with them SIX years ago.
They certainly wouldn't have cost $20,000 unless they involved DUI/DWI.

There are also the Failure to Appear costs to be paid.

Sorry, they gotcha, if you ever want to drive in the USA.

You can attempt to get a restricted/occupational license to commute to work, medical appointments, etc.

That's your best bet to get back behind the wheel.

But, that'll cost you, too.

Beware, even if you get the some kind of license, your insurance will be exorbitant, assuming you can get insurance.

Read this:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/restricted.html

Have you tried this site:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dsdreinstatements/

You are in their loop, and they have the only way out.

Patience and large doses of kindness will be very useful.

Look in the mirror, that's who set you up for this bureaucratic flogging.

I have no DUI's these are no insurance tickets mainly maybe 1 speeding 1 no seatbelt. Its because they are in collections!! I admit being wrong I wish I could have taken care of them then, reason I didnt have insurance cause I couldnt afford it at the time. Same cop kept getting me on my way to work! I know its my own fault! There is'nt anything I can do? They dont drop off your record anymore after 7yrs? And bankrupsey isnt an option?

I have no DUI's these are no insurance tickets mainly maybe 1 speeding 1 no seatbelt. Its because they are in collections!! I admit being wrong I wish I could have taken care of them then, reason I didnt have insurance cause I couldnt afford it at the time. Same cop kept getting me on my way to work! I know its my own fault! There is'nt anything I can do? They dont drop off your record anymore after 7yrs? And bankrupsey isnt an option?

Even if they forgave the debt, or you paid the $20,000; that alone won't get your driving privileges restored.
Please take 20-30 minutes and read the information on the links I provided for you.

It's not just about the money.

This is a big problem for many people.

At least DUI snt among yours.

But, getting a license restored without a showing of financial responsibility (one of the link explains what FR is all about), ain't happening.

Some lawyers claim to be able to get the fines reduced.

I've seen it done less than 10 times in four decades.

It costs nothing to meet with most lawyers for an initial consultation.

So, try that angle.

Bankruptcy will not discharge fines or penalties you might owe to any government entity with one small exception.

Any fees owed might be dischargeable in bankruptcy if the fee was to reimburse a governmental agency for money it has actually spent, or any financial loss it may suffer, separate and apart from the related fines and penalties.

As an example, let's say the city charges you to remove overgrown weeds and rubbish removal from a vacant lot you own or to replace a water hydrant you hit on an icy street, or to demolish a crumbling garage on your property.

These city costs MIGHT be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

That is if the county charged you in an effort to recover the actual costs involved in clearing the debris, cuttung down the weeds, repairing/replacing the damaged fire hydrant, or demolishing the unsafe structure.

As you can see, such is not the case with your dilemma.

Try the things I've suggested, especially talking with three or four lawyers in your county.

Don't give up hope, persistence and patience are important assets to help you dig your way out of this mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back