Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Trying to do the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfarley

I currently have a warrant for an unpaid DUI ticket in AZ I received in 1994. (All the classes were completed and all the fines were paid except $200.00) And I also have an FTA for some unpaid traffic violations that I received in 1995. I moved to CA in 1995 and have lived here ever since. Ironically, I came to CA to get help for my drinking problem. The tickets caught up with me during a background check with my job with the CA Dept. of Corrections. (If I clear this from my record, I can get my job back. )

I will pay the total amount of the fines in full on May 10th via telephone. However, I was told that I will have to wait for a letter from the judge telling me when I will have to appear before him in Phoenix, AZ because of the DUI ticket (I think). Regardless, I have to go before the judge within 10 days of my making the payment. That's a major stand by for us...it is a 12-15 hour trip from Central California.

I just want to be prepared. Is the jusge goiing to take into consideration that I live in CA? Am I going to have to go to jail for some reason even if I pay of all my fines and I have not been in any trouble since? Should I bring a character reference/letter with me? Will the time I served (voluntarily) in ministry help
ing other addicts in Southern CA be considered community service if needed? I just want to do what is necessary to clear this from my record so that I can go back to work and put this behind me. I appreciate some input...Thank you.

Q: I just want to be prepared. Is the jusge goiing to take into consideration that I live in CA?

A: Where you live is irrelevant.

Q: Am I going to have to go to jail for some reason even if I pay of all my fines and I have not been in any trouble since?

A: No one can predict the future.

Q: Should I bring a character reference/letter with me?

A: Well, you've pretty well shot your own character; I don't see where it would do much good.

Q: Will the time I served (voluntarily) in ministry helping other addicts in Southern CA be considered community service if needed?

A: Ask the judge; the community service may be forward from the time you get sentenced. You can not get credit for something no one can check up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back