Consumer Fraud Trying to determine if this is a pyramid promotional scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

monroesd

I have found a website that sounds good, but I want to make sure that it is not a pyramid promotional scheme according to Texas Business and Commerce Code Sec. 17.461.

It appears that the owner of the website is an affiliate with several merchants. It's free to join. There's no obligation to buy or sell anything.

He says that it's basically a way to get a percentage of what you buy online and you get a percentage of what your referrals buy. You're not buying products necessarily to resale.

The owner is also offering contests and bonuses to it's members to join and shop online. For instance, If you purchase something for $50, and have 10 referrals that purchases something for $50, then you will receive $5.00 bonus on top of the commission of making the purchase that you and your referrals make.

Of what I see:
it would not cost me anything to join,
I could save money by shopping online,
I could make money by referral friends and family, and
I'm buying a product that I would use, not like I am being forced to buy it.

The thing that has me concerned is: Is this a pyramid promotional scheme? If it is, I do not want to be a part of if because I do not want to try to get other people to participate in it. That would cause me to be in trouble too.

It might be too good to be true, but with no cost to join, I'm thinking it can't hurt. I looked at all the pages on this website and there are no places that require me to give him my credit card or bank information. He says that he will either pay by mailing a money order or by Paypal.

Please tell me what you think.

By design, illegal schemes require an up front payment that is passed on to others who are already in. If you don't get paid on the sign up, it is not a pyramid.

If you have doubts, walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back