Trouble with my step-father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffy

I have my own bank account and so does my step father. My bank account was set up many years ago by mom and my step dad. They are both joint ownership of my account so they can see my balance and that I wasn't spending my money on random stuff. My mom died from cancer about a year ago. After, my mom past away I moved to Michigan with my step dad until I could go in the military service. A few months goes by and he bought a house using my mom life insurance.

One day, I woke up from my nap and he asked me how much money I have on my bank account and I told him a little over $20,000 and he asked if he could borrowed $17,000 because he needed it for something. At the time when he borrowed the money he was fixing the house, so I assumed that is what he needed it for. He also mentioned that he had the money but he just did not have it right away. He was planning to cash out his Thrift Savings Plan which was around $24,000 when he would get it.

Two hours later he comes back with a 2006 GTO that he purchased from a dealer. Now here is the thing HE WONT PAY ME BACK.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back? I have proof on my monthly statement that I made the transfer of $17,000. The problem is that it doesn't say that it was transfer to his checking account all it says is 03-15 TRANSFER TO CHECKING 17,000.00-

Another thing when my mom past away she wrote her will on a yellow notebook that to send her retirement which is about $25,000 to her sister and family back in the Philippines which could take care of them for the rest of their life.

Now my step-dad is not sending any of those money. He did send $1000 and after that he stopped sending it and said that he wasn't gonna send it anymore. I don't have the original note but I have a copy of her will. Can I also use that to claim that money?

I have my own bank account and so does my step father. My bank account was set up many years ago by mom and my step dad. They are both joint ownership of my account so they can see my balance and that I wasn't spending my money on random stuff. My mom died from cancer about a year ago. After, my mom past away I moved to Michigan with my step dad until I could go in the military service. A few months goes by and he bought a house using my mom life insurance.

One day, I woke up from my nap and he asked me how much money I have on my bank account and I told him a little over $20,000 and he asked if he could borrowed $17,000 because he needed it for something. At the time when he borrowed the money he was fixing the house, so I assumed that is what he needed it for. He also mentioned that he had the money but he just did not have it right away. He was planning to cash out his Thrift Savings Plan which was around $24,000 when he would get it.

Two hours later he comes back with a 2006 GTO that he purchased from a dealer. Now here is the thing HE WONT PAY ME BACK.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back? I have proof on my monthly statement that I made the transfer of $17,000. The problem is that it doesn't say that it was transfer to his checking account all it says is 03-15 TRANSFER TO CHECKING 17,000.00-

Another thing when my mom past away she wrote her will on a yellow notebook that to send her retirement which is about $25,000 to her sister and family back in the Philippines which could take care of them for the rest of their life.

Now my step-dad is not sending any of those money. He did send $1000 and after that he stopped sending it and said that he wasn't gonna send it anymore. I don't have the original note but I have a copy of her will. Can I also use that to claim that money?

God bless you. I hope you have a great career, or at least enjoy your time in the military.
I thank you in advance for your service.

Now, to your problem.
You will have a difficult time in collecting your $17,000 back from your lout of a stepfather.

You could contact a lawyer, and sue your deceitful, stepfather.
That will take some time.
The bank can provide you with proof as to where the money was deposited.
You know that to be in your cheating, crooked, stepfather's account.

Of course, the lawyer will want some of the $17,000 as his/her fee.
But, half a loaf is better than no loaf; and at this point a slice of bread is better than nothing, too!

First of all, please accept my condolences on the passing of your mom.
Again, I have disturbing news about your beloved mother's wishes.
You would need an original will to contest what your creepy stepfather FAILED to do.
I'll bet the BUM doesn't have any money to do what your mom wanted done.

But, I suggest you speak with a couple attorneys about your concerns.
The initial consultation is often at no cost.
With any form of providence, one of them might offer to help.
God bless, and thank you in advance for serving our great nation!

I just got off the phone with my bank and she said she sent the request to someone with higher authority. She also said that the transactions was made less than a year ago so they should have no problem pulling the information that shows that it was transfer from my savings account # to his checking account #.

Also, a friend of mine said I could probably a put a lien on the GTO?

As for my mom wishes I'm sure the original note is still somewhere in the house.He used the money my mom left for her family back in the Philippines to build a second garage which he did not really need, a $10,000 tractor for like removing trees and stuff, and a couple of $1000 4 wheeler.

I just got off the phone with my bank and she said she sent the request to someone with higher authority. She also said that the transactions was made less than a year ago so they should have no problem pulling the information that shows that it was transfer from my savings account # to his checking account #.

Also, a friend of mine said I could probably a put a lien on the GTO?

As for my mom wishes I'm sure the original note is still somewhere in the house.He used the money my mom left for her family back in the Philippines to build a second garage which he did not really need, a $10,000 tractor for like removing trees and stuff, and a couple of $1000 4 wheeler.

Talk to a lawyer. This isn't a DIY project. Talk to a lawyer. I see good things happening for you!

IMO this should be pursued if at all possible not just because it was wrong if not legally then morally and your deadbeat stepfather needs to be sent a message that he is not free to act with impunity and disregard for both your mother and for you. I hope you find someone willing to properly represent you in recovering the money which in essence was stolen from you. He may not have signed a contract to pay you back but surely there was an implied agreement on his part to return the money "borrowed" to you.

Yes, as AJ says, we are indebted to all who are service members but imo especially those who risk their lives on foreign soil. For those in Iraq and Afghanistan and similar locations, I hope they are home again soon. What happened to our men and women who served in Vietnam was a disgrace and should never be allowed to happen again.

Those who serve honorably are entitled to be treated with respect and dignity. My father served in the Navy during WWI on a troop transport ship (a German cruiseliner SS Kurfurst which was in port in the U.S. when war was declared and subsequently seized and renamed the USS Aeolus). He never talked about his service much or bragged about it but he was proud and always on Veterans Day made sure to buy a poppy, which day is incidentally just a few days away so I hope it is more than just a day set aside for another special sale at the shopping centers as that is not what the day is about. The V.A. center in my home town was very good to my father when he needed help. I am sorry to hear that many V.A. services are being cut back and rationed in a most unbecoming manner imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back