Trip and Fall Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRoyal

Thank you for reading my inquiry...About a year ago, my mother in law tripped and fell on a public sidewalk in Los Angeles, injuring her right knee. Apparently, a tree branch protruding out of the sidewalk was the cause. She was with a friend at the time of her accident. Since then, she has been out of work and has monthly visits to the doctor's to see how her knee is healing. She is 62 years old as of today and looking to retire soon..but she was actually helping my wife pay on the mortgage of the house they have together. I met my wife in Dec. of '07 and married her in April 08'..so I had no clue of what had occurred, but thankfullly i'm able to help her with the mortgage now, but I digress. My question is if my mother in law can still file a suit against the city for this accident? I asked her if the sidewalk still has that branch coming out of the concrete and she said yes. Do you think she still has a case? Thank you for your time....

Sorry, it's too late to file a claim, the statute of limitations for Government claims in California is 6 months.

Your mother in law can file a suit against the city government. However, such right is regulated by the law on statute of limitations. You need to check first your states law on statute of limitation to determine if it is still within the prescriptive period.

Like I said in my reply to the original poster weeks ago, the statute of limitations for government claims in California is 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back