Transporting Minor as a Freelance Service (Waiver?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3t0x

Hi everyone,
Just a quick background. I currently work as a counselor within a drug and alchohol facility for youth in New Jersey. Long story short, one of our adolescent clients is being discharged in a day and at the request of his parents will be going out of state to attend a 6-month boarding school focused on therapy, etc. In dealing with the father and mother on a daily basis, they brought to my attention that although they could be the ones to transport their kid out of state and to the facility, they are worried he may manipulate them and attempt running away. In one of our daily conversations, the father asked me (being that my rapport with his son is good) if I would be willing to drive the son to the facility. Of course, he offered to pay me a substantial amount of money and I told him I would get back to him. Now of course, my first though was the legal obligations and liability I may face if there were to be any issues during the travel. I do not own any kind of transportation business and I am basically going to be doing this as a "paid favor". With this in mind, I searched the internet far and wide to find some kind of waiver or agreement to draw up to rid me of any legal repercussions, should things go wrong. My questions are the following:

1.Would this waiver/agreement hold up in the event of a legal matter?
2.Does it need to notorized?
3.Am I breaking any law by agreeing to do this?

I can attach copies of each agreement below this post, but would appreciate any feedback A.S.A.P.

Thanks again
d3t0x

I think your main concern should be violating any policy of your employer.

It certainly isn't illegal to give the kid a ride, but if something goes wrong and the family blames your employer you will be in the hot seat.

Hi everyone,
Just a quick background. I currently work as a counselor within a drug and alchohol facility for youth in New Jersey. Long story short, one of our adolescent clients is being discharged in a day and at the request of his parents will be going out of state to attend a 6-month boarding school focused on therapy, etc. In dealing with the father and mother on a daily basis, they brought to my attention that although they could be the ones to transport their kid out of state and to the facility, they are worried he may manipulate them and attempt running away. In one of our daily conversations, the father asked me (being that my rapport with his son is good) if I would be willing to drive the son to the facility. Of course, he offered to pay me a substantial amount of money and I told him I would get back to him. Now of course, my first though was the legal obligations and liability I may face if there were to be any issues during the travel. I do not own any kind of transportation business and I am basically going to be doing this as a "paid favor". With this in mind, I searched the internet far and wide to find some kind of waiver or agreement to draw up to rid me of any legal repercussions, should things go wrong. My questions are the following:

1.Would this waiver/agreement hold up in the event of a legal matter?
2.Does it need to notorized?
3.Am I breaking any law by agreeing to do this?

I can attach copies of each agreement below this post, but would appreciate any feedback A.S.A.P.

Thanks again
d3t0x

No amount of money would be ENOUGH money to do this. Why? So many things could go wrong. If you care about your day job, don't even entertain doing the drive job. The best protection for you is to say,

Sir and Madam, how kind of you to think I'm equipped to do this, but I don't own a car, and if anything ever happened to Junior, I'd never forgive myself. Sorry, I must decline your kind offer.

How can my job have a say in what I do during my off-time? Also, I have a dependable rented van and I've acquired someone with a history of psych/criminal/medical patient transportation, in fact a certified EMT to go along with me....

Also, if this is the case how can schools/camps/facilities/etc take minors on out-of-state field trips? What protects them?

Lastly, couldn't this waiver of liabiltiy and hold harmless agreement protect me? (Not to mention my personal automobile insurance and the insurance from the rental company)

Last edited:
How can my job have a say in what I do during my off-time? Also, I have a dependable rented van and I've acquired someone with a history of psych/criminal/medical patient transportation, in fact a certified EMT to go along with me....

Also, if this is the case how can schools/camps/facilities/etc take minors on out-of-state field trips? What protects them?

Lastly, couldn't this waiver of liabiltiy and hold harmless agreement protect me? (Not to mention my personal automobile insurance and the insurance from the rental company)

You see, when knights disappeared, so did armor. Knights somehow seemed to disappear as certain wizards learned of clever ways and techniques to harm these knights even while they wore their beautiful armor. And, this is the troublesome part, those knights once thought that wearing that armor to they too, were PROTECTED!

Just saying, sometimes the only protection is to walk away, stay away, don't get involved.

Do we smell the rat ALL the time?

You see, when knights disappeared, so did armor. Knights somehow seemed to disappear as certain wizards learned of clever ways and techniques to harm these knights even while they wore their beautiful armor. And, this is the troublesome part, those knights once thought that wearing that armor to they too, were PROTECTED!

Just saying, sometimes the only protection is to walk away, stay away, don't get involved.

Do we smell the rat ALL the time?

I'm not a fan of aphorism, but I am a fan of the $3,000 I walked away with without any consequences. Thanks for your advice anyway.

I'm not a fan of aphorism, but I am a fan of the $3,000 I walked away with without any consequences. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Do you think I care?

You are severely confused.

What you do, has NO impact on me.

By the way, I don't offer advice, I prefer to call them choices, ideas, things, stuff, garbage, but NEVER ADVICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back