Transferring property tax from property A to property B

Ricardo123

Received a letter from town tax collector dated July 28, 1997 stating all property taxes on PROPERTY "A" were paid to date. Have copies of all checks reflecting all property taxes were paid to date. In 2006 tax collector stated approximately $2500.00 was due in back taxes. I provided proof taxes on Property "A" were paid to date. Proof was confirmed by tax collector. However, tax collector, stated a clerical error was made by tax collector in 1994, 12 years earlier. Outstanding balance was placed on PROPERTY "B". I disputed this, pointing out statute 12-60. "Correction of clerical error in assessment. Any clerical omission or mistake in the assessment of taxes may be corrected according to the fact by the assessors or board of assessment appeals, not later than three years following the tax due date relative to which such omission or mistake occurred, and the tax shall be levied and collected according to such corrected assessment."
The tax collector continued to add on levy fees and interest. In 2015 the amount grew to approximately $12,000.00. The town threatened and took steps to place property up for auction. I paid $12,000.00 under protest.

Back