Traffic citation payed online: do i have to appear in court ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastien

Hi

I got a traffic ticket in las vegas for "failure to use due care".
I have just seen my case online and made a payment with the web site.

Since i paid, do i have to appear in court at the date written on the citation ?

Thanks,
Sebastien

Hi

I got a traffic ticket in las vegas for "failure to use due care".
I have just seen my case online and made a payment with the web site.

Since i paid, do i have to appear in court at the date written on the citation ?

Thanks,
Sebastien

A citation reading: "Failure to Use Due Care", often results from an accident.
It isn't wise just to pay the citation.
The citation is based upon a police officer's observation.
That doesn't mean you did anything.
It has no more force or effect of law, than to summon you to court to litigate the matter.
Pleading guilty to such a charge can be far more expensive that the fine and costs you might be required to pay.
If you've done this, I suggest you speak with your insurance company.
You have a duty to defend yourself and your insurer.
Once you plead GUILTY, expect a civil lawsuit to follow.
Some people see traffic accidents as a lottery.
It isn't over just because you admitted GUILT and paid up.
It has ONLY JUST BEGUN, in most cases!!!

You might want to speak with your insurance agent or company.
Most people in your position ask the insurance company to provide them with legal counsel.

Due Care or Undue Care, are tickets issued to Driver's that have had an accident. Because they have failed to use due care, they have caused property damage and personal injury to another. Often these cases end up with a personal injury attorney suing for damages in a civil proceeding to recover compensatory damages encompassing medical expenses, wage loss, and pain and suffering. The District Attorney is responsible for pressing charges and upholding the law on all criminal related charges including minor traffic offenses. Due Care tickets are commonly written at accident scenes to at-fault drivers. Insurance companies are notified once a claim is made in these cases. Drivers who are at-fault in these circumstances will need an attorney to represent them, and these are usually provided by the automotive insurance companies, whom have a duty to DEFEND and INDEMNIFY for the loss. However, these attorneys rarely help you with your traffic related offense often because it is too late. Automobile defense attorneys often do not get involved until a civil lawsuit has been filed which in Nevada can be up to 2 years. The criminal charges will be brought much sooner, so the obligation to get help is upon the Nevada Driver. www.TicketPower.com will help you fight a Due Care Traffic Ticket so that your rights are preserved to fight the civil charge that may be coming.

A citation reading: "Failure to Use Due Care", often results from an accident.
It isn't wise just to pay the citation.
The citation is based upon a police officer's observation.
That doesn't mean you did anything.
It has no more force or effect of law, than to summon you to court to litigate the matter.
Pleading guilty to such a charge can be far more expensive that the fine and costs you might be required to pay.
If you've done this, I suggest you speak with your insurance company.
You have a duty to defend yourself and your insurer.
Once you plead GUILTY, expect a civil lawsuit to follow.
Some people see traffic accidents as a lottery.
It isn't over just because you admitted GUILT and paid up.
It has ONLY JUST BEGUN, in most cases!!!

You might want to speak with your insurance agent or company.
Most people in your position ask the insurance company to provide them with legal counsel.

Thanks for your answer
Do you mean the fact i paid means i plead guilty ?
And will i have to go the court for the traffic citation since i paid the fine online ?
I may appear naive :eek:, i am a foreigner and therefore it's difficult for me to understand the procedures.

Regards,
Sebastien

Thanks for your answer
Do you mean the fact i paid means i plead guilty ?
And will i have to go the court for the traffic citation since i paid the fine online ?
I may appear naive :eek:, i am a foreigner and therefore it's difficult for me to understand the procedures.

Regards,
Sebastien

You should hire a lawyer immediately.
Make sure you hire one that can speak your native language.

Yes, paying the citation means you pled guilty!

Pleading guilty to such a charge means that you could be spending a lot of time in courtrooms!!!

You should hire a lawyer immediately.
Make sure you hire one that can speak your native language.

Yes, paying the citation means you pled guilty!

Pleading guilty to such a charge means that you could be spending a lot of time in courtrooms!!!

Does it have sense to hire a lawyer to go to the traffic court now that i pled guilty (paying the fine online) ? I mean: will he be able to plead no guilty at the court ?
Do you have an opinion on web sites like "ticketpower.com" ? This seems nice for me since it works online.

Thanks,
Samuel

Does it have sense to hire a lawyer to go to the traffic court now that i pled guilty (paying the fine online) ? I mean: will he be able to plead no guilty at the court ?
Do you have an opinion on web sites like "ticketpower.com" ? This seems nice for me since it works online.

Thanks,
Samuel

If you've paid, no, it can't be undone.
You're stuck with the guilty plea.

Last edited:
Contact the court and ask if you are released from the court appearance. You likely do not have to go now so long as there are no additional offenses on your citation.

Do not worry about getting an attorney unless someone actually sues you. You do not need an attorney just yet, and most likely any claim will be handled through your insurance. If you need an attorney you will know when the time comes.

around here in wisconsin there is usually a checkbox on the citation that the officer would mark if you were either required or not required to appear in court according to the charge.if not you would have the option to mail it in and there might then be an option to plead guilty or other(maybe only or automatically guilty or no contest if you mail in the fine).not sure how it works online,but i would think that you would have to click some kind of plea.unless it is a certain auto plea by just paying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back