Trademarks and home crafted goods

LKHarvest

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
I am a crafter of home made products. I would like to make and sell air fresheners in an university's logo. I would be purchasing the mold online to make my product. It appears to be a licensed mold. Since I am purchasing the licensed mold do I need to get a license to sell my air fresheners?

You'll need to have a formal licensing arrangement with the universities, if your product displays their logos.

Thank you for responding

Your link to the mold didn't tell me anything. I went back to Amazon and looked for other Fanpans products and the listings had no licensing information. My guess is that only personal use would be allowed and not resale.

You will have to contact Fanpans manufacturer to find out about licensing for resale. I suggest you don't engage in resale without doing that lest you be sued for infringement.

The mold itself may be licensed, but that doesn't mean a product produced from it would be. Trademarks only are an issue when you are using the in commerce (for example, selling the items). Universities are pretty vehement about protecting their marks these days (I'll put them right behind WB and Disney).

It appears to be a licensed mold. Since I am purchasing the licensed mold do I need to get a license to sell my air fresheners?

When you say it "appears to be a licensed mold" (and assuming that's correct), that just means that the person or entity who sold the mold had permission of the mark owner to sell it. That license would absolutely not allow you to sell products created from the mold.

Back