1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Trademarks and home crafted goods

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by LKHarvest, Feb 9, 2020.

1. LKHarvest

LKHarvest Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    West Virginia
    I am a crafter of home made products. I would like to make and sell air fresheners in an university's logo. I would be purchasing the mold online to make my product. It appears to be a licensed mold. Since I am purchasing the licensed mold do I need to get a license to sell my air fresheners?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You'll need to have a formal licensing arrangement with the universities, if your product displays their logos.

Red Kayak likes this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Appears to be?

You don't know for sure?

Give us a link to the license.

4. LKHarvest

5. LKHarvest

Thank you for responding

6. Red Kayak

Red Kayak Active Member

Usually such things are marketed for individual/private use.

7. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Your link to the mold didn't tell me anything. I went back to Amazon and looked for other Fanpans products and the listings had no licensing information. My guess is that only personal use would be allowed and not resale.

You will have to contact Fanpans manufacturer to find out about licensing for resale. I suggest you don't engage in resale without doing that lest you be sued for infringement.

8. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

The mold itself may be licensed, but that doesn't mean a product produced from it would be. Trademarks only are an issue when you are using the in commerce (for example, selling the items). Universities are pretty vehement about protecting their marks these days (I'll put them right behind WB and Disney).

Red Kayak likes this.
  9. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

When you say it "appears to be a licensed mold" (and assuming that's correct), that just means that the person or entity who sold the mold had permission of the mark owner to sell it. That license would absolutely not allow you to sell products created from the mold.

Red Kayak likes this.