told another reason of layoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelord26

Hi i have a question i worked for a company for 5 years and did my work and applied myself abve and beyond what was expected of me. i have had five reviews all with 100%. well friday came and i went in to work and an argument started in another department and the practice mananger went in and shut the door. well about 30 minutes later she comes into our department and says we need to talk i will talk to each of you so she called one of them first. So after about 20 minutes she comes back in and says i will talk with you and amber next, i said well he had his talk private but we have to go together. we get in the room and she says yo have to had noticed we are in a finanacial crisis, i said no i did not notice because we just bought another bulding all new furniture over 7000 worh of just chairs, she said well weare so the Drs have decided to shut medical recorrds down. she said five people were being let go and we were two of them. she then proceeed to say they were filing banrupsy and they can not make payroll and sinority plays a roll so the other one will be staying he started 3 months before me so said ok. well later on i find out from the girl that was in the argument that shw walked in on another employee bad mouthing her saying she should be the one to go she had no experiance in here and they got into it she said that another girl was supposed to be let go and one person from her department the Drs only wanted two in the room, well then she proceeds to say that another girls department was closing and she was supposed to be let go, but after all this i find out they are taking over our positons. then she proceeds to say that that she may not be giving severance.after i get home i get a call from a friend saying the other girl in you department is not fired she is going to replace another girl in bowie. wow so if it was about sinurity i should have been te one going to bowies due to the other girl only being employed they 6 months! so i later find out the reason we went was because the others that were supposed to go are assets [ can be used in other departments] i do not think this is fair at all first to lie to me then act like i have not done you good the whole time i was there. and i did not get my last check or my payed time off waht is the law concerning that when are they supposed to give me my checks. i feel as though to calm the situation down she did this.

Your post is very hard to read, so I may have read some of it wrong. This is what I have managed to get out of it.

Your employer is not required by any law to use seniority in deciding who to lay off. They may, in fact, use any criteria they want except a factor protected by law (race, religion, national origin, having filed a workers comp claim, etc.).

Your final paycheck is due on the next regular payday after your last day of work. Maryland has gone back and forth on whether unused vacation is due at termination; I believe the current regulation is no, but Patricia Young should know when she gets here.

Sounds as if the answer is, it depends on the company's policy.

Does your company have a policy to pay out unused vacation?

I agree.. very hard to read that post. Seems odd for someone working with medical records?

Looking at PY's link it's pretty clearly spelled out but I always wonder about liability based on policy. Is it the employer's requirement to provide the employee with said policy or can they simply print something off and say it was always policy?

The employer does not have to provide a copy of the policy as such, but they do have to notify the employee in some way if vacation will NOT be paid at termination and the conditions under which that is applicable. That's (b)(2) in the link I gave you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back