timmy

timmy

my wife and i have been married 18 years. she has left a will that her daughter be executor of her estate. it also states i can live here as long as i want as long as i don't remarry. can my step daughter kick me out even if i don'y remarry.

our house is paid for but is in my wifes name she bought before her first husband passed away. She recently had a will drawn up leaving her daughter as executor of her estate with the provision that I can live here as long as i desire should she pass away before me as long as I never marry. I don't plan on remarrying anyway. Can my step daughter sell or kicik me out of the house antway ??

Last edited by a moderator:
our house is paid for but is in my wifes name she bought before her first husband passed away. She recently had a will drawn up leaving her daughter as executor of her estate with the provision that I can live here as long as i desire should she pass away before me as long as I never marry. I don't plan on remarrying anyway. Can my step daughter sell or kicik me out of the house antway ??

Your wife has tried to establish a life estate for you.
A life estate allows a person to use the home as long as they are alive.
The person named in the life estate takes no ownership of the property, but has exclusive use of same.
Upon the death of said person, the remainder reverts to the remainderman (more fictional heirs).
I'm not sure your wife has accomplished that the way you describe it.
I suggest you and your wife discuss what she wants to do for you.
Then you might suggest that you both go to a lawyer and ensure its done correctly.
You do reside in Louisiana and your laws are a tad different than the other 49 states.
But, why worry over where you'll live?
Heck, you might get that visit from Joe Black much sooner than your wife, and then none of this matters.

Back