Time Limit for collecting a small claim settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharilee

Hi, There was a small claims settlement that my friend had went through in July 1999. She won the claim for money that was owed to her from a previous boyfriend but never receive a dime from him. Unfortunately she never persued any further to get the money from him. Now she is interested in trying again. Isn't it too late for her to do that? Is there a time limit? Thanks for your help. Shari

Sharilee said:
Hi, There was a small claims settlement that my friend had went through in July 1999. She won the claim for money that was owed to her from a previous boyfriend but never receive a dime from him. Unfortunately she never persued any further to get the money from him. Now she is interested in trying again. Isn't it too late for her to do that? Is there a time limit? Thanks for your help. Shari

It depends upon the state you are in. In New York the time length (I think) is 20 years. The real significant time limits involved are in bringing your case and it is done that way so that the facts are fresh. Once the case is decided, the perception is that we have made a proper decision and the party owed the money should have plenty of time to collect on the judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back