Threatening brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchkevins42

Since 2004 in my capacity as Power of Attorney for my elderly mother I work to respect her wish to spend the remaining years of her life in her home. My goal is to keep her safe and comfortable there for as long as possible. I live in closer proximity to our mother than do her other children, so I am primarily responsible for coordinating her in-home care to that end. I have her with 24hr. in home nursing care which has necessitated me taking out a reverse mortgage on her home . The money from the reverse will soon be all gone into her home care. My sister and her husband assist when they are able to visit periodically from their home in CO. This arrangement has succeeded until recently when my elder brother showed up and took some valuable items from the house insisting that they belong to him because he
has received nothing and all of the other siblings have received more than he . Which I know is not true.Therefore he insists that everyone else should be forced to give back everything the have ever received from my parents.
When I confronted him he has become irrational, profane and threatening towards me and my other siblings. In the past my brother has contributed nothing towards helping with my mother's care. He is also an addict and mentally unstable . He still insists that he has the right to go to my mother's house whenever he wishes. I fear he will only do more harm . What should do in order to protect my family from him ?

Since 2004 in my capacity as Power of Attorney for my elderly mother I work to respect her wish to spend the remaining years of her life in her home. My goal is to keep her safe and comfortable there for as long as possible. I live in closer proximity to our mother than do her other children, so I am primarily responsible for coordinating her in-home care to that end. I have her with 24hr. in home nursing care which has necessitated me taking out a reverse mortgage on her home . The money from the reverse will soon be all gone into her home care. My sister and her husband assist when they are able to visit periodically from their home in CO. This arrangement has succeeded until recently when my elder brother showed up and took some valuable items from the house insisting that they belong to him because he
has received nothing and all of the other siblings have received more than he . Which I know is not true.Therefore he insists that everyone else should be forced to give back everything the have ever received from my parents.
When I confronted him he has become irrational, profane and threatening towards me and my other siblings. In the past my brother has contributed nothing towards helping with my mother's care. He is also an addict and mentally unstable . He still insists that he has the right to go to my mother's house whenever he wishes. I fear he will only do more harm . What should do in order to protect my family from him ?

IMMEDIATELY contact the police and file a theft charge against the bum.

Make a list of all items he has STOLEN from your mother's home.

Once you do that, get an order of protection (from the court, the police can direct you where to do that in your county) to bar the bum from visiting your mother's home, because he is a drug addict and thief!!!

This website provides NJ specific information on the process.

That bum of a brother can also POSSIBLY be charged with elder abuse.

Again, the local police will assist you.

In fact, on weekends, holidays, or after hours; the police can do the order for you.

Today is a HOLIDAY!!!

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/womdvcrt.htm

Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., except on a holiday, you can go to the domestic violence unit of the Family Division and apply for the Order. Court employees will help you file the papers on forms they will provide.

If it is after the end of the court day, a holiday, or a weekend, you can go to your local police department to obtain an order. They have the forms and can call a judge to get an order that starts immediately. You will be asked to speak to the judge by telephone, unless the judge chooses to come to the court to hear your testimony directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back