Threatened by Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

I was hired last year on the condition that I learn about retirement accounts within a 2-3 month period. According to the hiring supervisor, I would be placed in a position above that which I was hired for in 2-3 months. I completed the trainging and learned all that I needed to learn in less than three weeks. My direct supervisor assured me that by March I would begin going out into the field to meet with clients. Apparently, I was sent out to the field only once and only as an observer. I thought nothing of it and let patience be at my side.
In April, two things happened. First, I met with my supervisor again and she assured me once more by saying that she would keep her promise and that she wanted me to be happy. Secondly, I also questioned one of the other supervisors about the legitimacy of telling a particular new/prospective, multi-million dollar client that we had 10 times more the representatives than we actually had. Within 5 days after these two things happened, I found myself in the department head's office.
The department head claimed that she was informed by someone that I had been making disparaging statements about the department and the company. Next, my employment and the position that I was to be placed into would be in jeopardy if I continued. I NEVER made any of the disparaging statements against the company nor the department. Thus, I denied them but she insisted that the statements could affect my future with the department and company.
In response to the allegations and other statements she made, I reported the incident to HR, despite being told not to by the department head. In return, HR backed her and I am still in the supposed transition position that I was only supposed to hold for 2-3 months. In addition, the HR rep emphasized that "you do not understand business and it's ok for companies to project the number of employees because of their ability to expand at will...Clients don't need to know all the details."
So, I was threatened and I have not advanced in my position despite all the promises from my direct supervisor. What can I legally do?

What do you want to accomplish? Are you objecting to the fact that they want you to deliberately misrepresent facts or can you simply state "it is possible that we could grow... blah blah blah" and simply do a little puffing but no actual representation? I'm not a fan of puffed up marketing but as long as you stay clear of the line you should be OK. As far as the other items go, what has worked for me has been to make formal, written statements (although I'd be sure to be very careful as to what I said).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back