Threat of Eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandaughter101

My grandmother lives in a housin authority property in vineland New jersey. She lives alone, rent and bills paid on time. She has nurses helping her during the day bc of her help. Her youngest son who is mentally challenge visits her daily and stays for lunch and dinner. He has had problems years previously with other tenants bc of his issue. Someone felt harrased by him. No charges pressed and he hasn't got in any other trouble. However one of the housing authority workers (I think she is the manager) has written about three letters prohibiting my grandmom from receiving her son as a visitor or she would get evicted. Is this legal. They have no restraining order or any recent issues with him.

Yes. Whatever took place with the other resident(s) and your grandmothers youngest son sounds significant enough to warrant not one but three letters written out of concern for the safety of these other residents.

Typically housing authority properties have yearly leases just like private properties. They require (among other things) yearly inspections and residents can be evicted for a number of reasons. If this were to come to a head over the son (who is a guest, not a tenant of course) your grandmother could protest this but I'm going to assume that perhaps because of her age and her health she'd like to avoid this entire business of eviction in the first place.

Gail

Thank you. She has not gotten evicted. She just wants to stop getting letter with threats of eviction when she recieves him as a visitor. He is in her house n doesn't talk to anyone. Its been years since the first problem n he is always on his med's. I guess we just want to know if there is no restraining order against him and he is not causing any problems. Can they tell her who she can or can't have in her house? Can they really evict her just like that. What cam she do in her behalf to fix all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back