Threat of eviction to get signature

Stu L.

Jurisdiction
Texas
Cause: Apartment complex added fiber internet and TV to premises.
Issue: Landlord enacted a mandatory added monthly fee addendum under threat of eviction if not signed mid term.
Explanation: Landlord contacted tenant on 2nd month of 12 month signed lease. Told Tenant there would be a $50 fee added first two months and $100 fee for remaining months of lease. Tenant expressed they were not interested in cable TV or internet from contracting host. Landlord issued threat of eviction to obtain signature on lease addendum.
Jurisdiction: West Fort Worth
Question: Is legal action capable and or worth the cost? No action = $900 unexpected expense over 10 months. Is threat of eviction to obtain a signature from tenant illegal or strong arm?
Thank you for any responses.

Is legal action capable and or worth the cost?

People will often spend $50,000 chasing $500 because they can do whatever it is that trips their fancy.

Is threat of eviction to obtain a signature from tenant illegal or strong arm?

Maybe, only a judge can determine if something is illegal, even when you or I know it is illegal.

I can guess that if you refuse to sign and cough up the extra cash, you may not be evicted, but I suspect the landlord will refuse to renew your lease.

Which, by the way, is LEGAL.

If you have a lease that, for example, expires on 12/31/19, you cannot be evicted before that unless you are in breach of the lease by failing to pay rent or otherwise. Not agreeing to sign some sort of addendum is not a breach. If you're month-to-month, then you can be evicted without cause at any time upon proper notice.

Landlord issued threat of eviction to obtain signature on lease addendum.

Well, did you sign? If yes, you are done.

If no, then just say no. There is no "threaten" to evict. There is only evict or not evict.

An eviction is a court action. If you get served with a court action you'll have a defense.

I suspect that the LL is just bluffing.

Cause: Apartment complex added fiber internet and TV to premises.
Issue: Landlord enacted a mandatory added monthly fee addendum under threat of eviction if not signed mid term.
Explanation: Landlord contacted tenant on 2nd month of 12 month signed lease. Told Tenant there would be a $50 fee added first two months and $100 fee for remaining months of lease. Tenant expressed they were not interested in cable TV or internet from contracting host. Landlord issued threat of eviction to obtain signature on lease addendum.
Jurisdiction: West Fort Worth
Question: Is legal action capable and or worth the cost? No action = $900 unexpected expense over 10 months. Is threat of eviction to obtain a signature from tenant illegal or strong arm?
Thank you for any responses.
It would depend on the language of the lease. I presume that a real estate attorney in Texas would be able to address this for you. This would be a violation of the statute, unless the lease allows it.

Back