This doesn't make sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmajor2you

A friend of mine a couple of years ago was approached by a femal stating that he was the father of her child....he knew that he wasnt...but stated that he felt bad for the girl and the child...and offered to help the young lady out. Informed the judge to give her the support she needed....At the time his finances allowed him to do so. Cut 3 years later...the mother has disappeared with the child but he had recieved a stating that his case was closed.....in the mean time...child support was taking $100 every pay period from his check for 6 months for a total of $1200. He received another letter stating that he owed a coupld thousand dollars and immediately went downtown to find out what this was about....as he has been going before....every time he goes, they ensure him that this is a mistake and they are so sorry for whats going on.....and it must be an error in the system....cut 2 months later....he realized that at least more than 70% of his check was being taken. He went back down to child support to complain and not until the last time was able to speak to a supervisor who informed him that his case was closed in NY....but the child is in his Grandmothers custody in PA and the case is open out there. The last word I heard was that they were waiting for a signature from a supervisor out in PA and he'd recieved all of his money back....but no one giving anymore info.

While doing some research I saw that there was suppose to be a limit on the amount withheld from a debtors check and they have to be informed before it accurs (which he wasn't).

Im just trying to figure out if this guy needs to get a lawyer to represent him....possibly sue the state....because they are railroading this poor guy.....he works 60-80 hour weeks to come home w less than 5 hours pay....something has to be illegal here....and his being a stubborn male....think he knows everything....Please advise.

What are we missing in this story? Nobody simply agrees to pay all that money just to help out a poor waif you don't know - at least nobody I know. I'm wondering - perhaps his job or the state allowed her to obtain more benefits than just the money he was providing? Did he obtain some "benefits" in return? If there was anything other than just the goodwill of a naive, good hearted soul, he will have problems and will probably want to have a lawyer help him out. This is because what he did may have been illegal in the first place. You really need to get the whole story since the story to me doesn't make sense - or it is omitting a very big piece of information we don't know.

I absolutely agree.

Someone somewhere doesn't have all of the relevant information.

I absolutely agree.

Someone somewhere doesn't have all of the relevant information.

I think the all, too eager "baby daddy" hasn't told the OP everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back