They owe me $20K I owe them $10K, they declared bankruptcy ugh!

T

timidtim

Jurisdiction
Delaware
We were doing reciprocal business with a company who went bankrupt. They owed us $20K and we owed them $10K when they declared bankruptcy. We also sent them to collections to no avail. We were giving them more business as a way to help them and with the idea that we'd break even or get paid. Now I have a debt attorney asking my company to pay them the full $10K but they are not ever going to pay us the full $20K. What can I do?

I suggest you spend a few dollars to hire an attorney.
If the company is filing BK, you're a creditor.
It's a bit complicated for this forum, but you have a few rights.
Talk to an attorney, ASAP.

Now I have a debt attorney asking my company to pay them the full $10K but they are not ever going to pay us the full $20K. What can I do?

Unfortunately, their debt to you is likely to be discharged in bankruptcy but your debt to them is an asset of the bankruptcy estate and enforceable.

Sorry.

You have an offset claim. Go find a creditor bk attny and settle with the trustee.

Des.

@army judge

Despite Army Judge's enthusiasm below, I must qualify the above as maybe I am reading this wrong. I am assuming that OP is being contacted by the bk trustee or some attny related to the bk. My assumption may be wrong. However, if the company (corporation or LLC) filed a Chapter 7 and that case is now over, the offset concept should still work in a non-bk world since corporations and LLCs do not get discharges in Chapter 7 so technically the money is still owed to OP's company.

OP, I think we need a bit more info. Who is attempting to collect?

Des.

Last edited:
You have an offset claim. Go find a creditor bk attny and settle with the trustee.

Des.

LOL

I love you, Des.

I knew you'd arrive with succinct instructions, so I merely hinted at an answer to allow you to offer the PRECISE information the OP could use.

Back