Theft

S

Sierra22713

Jurisdiction
California
I am 17 years old and stole a 18$ pair of socks at kohls. I was stopped outside the store and asked to give them back. I did and when the lady said I would be arrested I freaked and ran off dropping my wallet. They took my info down and now I have a court date or a civil demand to pay. What will happen next?

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. What you do next is talk to a Lawyer to discuss defense options and plea bargains. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to possibly protect your record

A lawyer? I thought it was considered petty theft. I was told I can attend court and because it is my first offense, I can go to court either by myself in the room with parents or with a group of other kids who are there for a reason. I was also told that because it is my first offense, that I will expect to get a ticket of some sort, diversion, a scare lecture, community serivce or cousaling. A lawyer is needed?

Will it not be exsponged when I turn 18?

I did tell my parents. I ran off because I already had dropped my wallet and they had my ID. A police report was made and they said to expect something in the mail.

I live in California by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, talking to a lawyer would be a good idea.

How is my future at stake.. Please explain I'm freaking out.

Why would it be a good idea. It is my first offense and why do I need one of it is petty theft and juvenile

It's a good idea if you care about your future. If you cannot afford a defense attorney you can ask that one be appointed to you. There are nuances that you aren't aware of or have easy access to by representing yourself, i.e. the possibility of informal probation. The key after all of this is to never steal again; learn from this stupid mistake as a minor and don't let this type of behavior carry over into your adult life.

I do care. Just a lawyer is involved? Many adults have already told me that I can attend court with a group of other kids that are there in trouble or attend the court room by myself. They say the judge with give me my sentence but it isn't JUVIE. They say the judge will give it to me then continue to the next kid.
It's a good idea if you care about your future. If you cannot afford a defense attorney you can ask that one be appointed to you. There are nuances that you aren't aware of or have easy access to by representing yourself, i.e. the possibility of informal probation. The key after all of this is to never steal again; learn from this stupid mistake as a minor and don't let this type of behavior carry over into your adult life.

I do care. Just a lawyer is involved? Many adults have already told me that I can attend court with a group of other kids that are there in trouble or attend the court room by myself. They say the judge with give me my sentence but it isn't JUVIE. They say the judge will give it to me then continue to the next kid.

If that's what you believe, mate, good luck.

Its means your risking getting a stiffer sentence than you would with a legal professional. Are these "adults" your talking to and getting legal advice from Attorneys? If not then get REAL legal advice from an actual Lawyer!! You have much to lose

You may not "Have" to get a lawyer. You came her for advice, and you are being advised to get a lawyer. The final decision is up to you and your parents.

A lawyer? I thought it was considered petty theft. I was told I can attend court and because it is my first offense, I can go to court either by myself in the room with parents or with a group of other kids who are there for a reason. I was also told that because it is my first offense, that I will expect to get a ticket of some sort, diversion, a scare lecture, community serivce or cousaling. A lawyer is needed?
Your mistake is thinking that a criminal misdemeanor is no big deal. The word "petty" might make you think it's not as impacting as it seems. But it goes on your criminal record and potential employers and colleges that you might attend will be likely know about a criminal conviction that is a part of your history. Now it is true that you will likely receive an alternative to the potential punishment - and you are very mistaken to call it a "scare lecture" which makes me wonder about your attitude. The alternative sentencing you may receive is discretionary - it is not required by the court. Hence you want to be 100% sure that someone who knows the law, customs of the court and knows how to speak to a judge and prosecutor is available. If you do get alternative sentencing then it's possible that the charges could be dropped and you won't have a conviction on your record. These technicalities are important. And if your attitude makes a judge or prosecutor angry, I doubt your parents will know the difference between what is offered and what could have been offered.

Will it not be exsponged when I turn 18?
It's not automatic. And there is a process. A criminal conviction doesn't go away automatically.

Bottom line is this - it's a crime that can stain your record for a very long time. Imagine you're interviewing for a job you really want and the person asks you if you've ever been convicted of a crime. Do you think they will feel good about you if you say "yes... but it was ONLY a petty crime?" I doubt they will feel the same as you do now. So get yourself the best help you can afford and ensure that your future has the highest chance of being clean from a stained criminal record. Good luck.

Your mistake is thinking that a criminal misdemeanor is no big deal. The word "petty" might make you think it's not as impacting as it seems. But it goes on your criminal record and potential employers and colleges that you might attend will be likely know about a criminal conviction that is a part of your history. Now it is true that you will likely receive an alternative to the potential punishment - and you are very mistaken to call it a "scare lecture" which makes me wonder about your attitude. The alternative sentencing you may receive is discretionary - it is not required by the court. Hence you want to be 100% sure that someone who knows the law, customs of the court and knows how to speak to a judge and prosecutor is available. If you do get alternative sentencing then it's possible that the charges could be dropped and you won't have a conviction on your record. These technicalities are important. And if your attitude makes a judge or prosecutor angry, I doubt your parents will know the difference between what is offered and what could have been offered.

It's not automatic. And there is a process. A criminal conviction doesn't go away automatically.

Bottom line is this - it's a crime that can stain your record for a very long time. Imagine you're interviewing for a job you really want and the person asks you if you've ever been convicted of a crime. Do you think they will feel good about you if you say "yes... but it was ONLY a petty crime?" I doubt they will feel the same as you do now. So get yourself the best help you can afford and ensure that your future has the highest chance of being clean from a stained criminal record. Good luck.
I haven't received anything in the mail yet. What do I expect now?

Its means your risking getting a stiffer sentence than you would with a legal professional. Are these "adults" your talking to and getting legal advice from Attorneys? If not then get REAL legal advice from an actual Lawyer!! You have much to lose
I haven't received anything in the mail yet

Back