Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Theft of Government Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leslieenicole01

I had been caught shoplifting on a Navy Military Base Exchange (NEX) on March 20, 2010 I understand that in theft cases it isn't so much the value as it is the actual act of stealing. I will still state the value of the item was 17.00. I left the store and Loss Prevention followed me to my car and asked me to return to the store. I offered to pay for the item, however they refused and took me into the back room, I was there for about an hour until I was released. I was NOT arrested nor apprehended however Military Police did show up and take a statement along with video footage of my actions. I was later released and allowed to drive off base, I am a Dependant, my father is a retired Master Chief. I received a United States District Court Violation Notice with the following charge: 18UCS641 Theft of Government property less than 1000 and was told I would receive a court date in the mail. I have a few questions. While being held by Loss Prevention they had mentioned a name of another person who was caught shoplifting there about three weeks ago and I personally knew the person, when I stated I personally knew the individual it turned into a discussion of character about the other individual while upon mentioning other names of people I also knew, would I have a loophole here? Am I facing jail time? This is my first offense. Would a plea of Guilty or Not Guilty be more sufficient in my case, even though evidence clearly shows I took the item (The have video footage) Although you cannot give me the exact outcome of this case, what is most likely in my situation? I know I will have a fine and a court date and that's about it. Thank you for ANY advice you can give.

I had been caught shoplifting on a Navy Military Base Exchange (NEX) on March 20, 2010 I understand that in theft cases it isn't so much the value as it is the actual act of stealing. I will still state the value of the item was 17.00. I left the store and Loss Prevention followed me to my car and asked me to return to the store. I offered to pay for the item, however they refused and took me into the back room, I was there for about an hour until I was released. I was NOT arrested nor apprehended however Military Police did show up and take a statement along with video footage of my actions. I was later released and allowed to drive off base, I am a Dependant, my father is a retired Master Chief. I received a United States District Court Violation Notice with the following charge: 18UCS641 Theft of Government property less than 1000 and was told I would receive a court date in the mail. I have a few questions. While being held by Loss Prevention they had mentioned a name of another person who was caught shoplifting there about three weeks ago and I personally knew the person, when I stated I personally knew the individual it turned into a discussion of character about the other individual while upon mentioning other names of people I also knew, would I have a loophole here? Am I facing jail time? This is my first offense. Would a plea of Guilty or Not Guilty be more sufficient in my case, even though evidence clearly shows I took the item (The have video footage) Although you cannot give me the exact outcome of this case, what is most likely in my situation? I know I will have a fine and a court date and that's about it. Thank you for ANY advice you can give.

this is all I could find on the matter....

shoplifting at the BX is a violation of federal law, and individuals caught will be charged for stealing government property.

This offense is generally considered a Class A misdemeanor. Though rarely sentenced to the maximum, defendants can face a maximum penalty of one-year confinement and a $100,000 fine.

At a minimum, defendants will pay at least $200 in fines and be criminally barred from the base for one year, in addition to carrying a federal conviction. Furthermore, defendants face civil reimbursement expenses. ...

Hope everything works out for you and learn a lesson from this. I hope this helps a little.

You're free to plead not guilty and force the government to prove it's case.

If convicted, you'll be fined and usually be ordered to perform a 100 hours (sometimes more) of community service and placed on 1 years probation (sometimes less).

You won't beat it, but you can try.

The government will usually appoint a lawyer, if you can't afford one.

In the scheme if things, this is no big deal.

The sponsor will also get charged a fee.

At least active duty sponsors do.

How old are you?

Usually, dependency ends at 18 or 19, if still in high school.

Are you still in high school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 19 years old, I will be 20 in August. The officer told me that I could be tried as an adult when I'm 20 here. I don't know if that's true or not. Also, my father is retired non active.

leslieenicole01 said:
I'm 19 years old, I will be 20 in August. The officer told me that I could be tried as an adult when I'm 20 here. I don't know if that's true or not. Also, my father is retired non active.

Something doesn't compute.

How do you still hold a dependent ID card at age 19?

You're tried as an adult at age 18 in the federal system.

leslieenicole01 said:
Because my father is a retiree I was told I will always have base privilages, however my Military medical care expires when I turn 21.
You were given incorrect information.

You lose all benefits at 18 (19) if you are in your senior year of high school.

There are exceptions for children with mental and medical disabilities.

You should speak with your father about this.

He could get in trouble if you still have an ID card.

And, if you possess that card as you indicate above, you're in violation of federal law.

They now know who you are, so you might expect to get a visit from the FBI or NCIS.

Your troubles might grow when you appear in court next.

US Attorneys are fond of stacking charges.

You'd better talk to an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back