Theft at place of employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mssharps

While at work, my $300.00 iPod was stolen from me.

The iPod was located in my bag, which was in my drawer, which was in my office at work.

Upon employment, I asked the director, if i could have a key, so I could lock the office when I would not be in there. I was denied

i also did not have a key to lock my drawer upon leaving the office.

The administration claims that they informed me that I was not to bring personal items to work with me. However, I do not remember this, and they have nothing in writing that backs this claim.

Theft at my place of employment is not uncommon.

Although I have only been there for a few months, i have been informed that over the year, that many other employees have also had their property stolen, but no action has been taken by the employer to curb the problem.

Is my employer, liable, or negligent in this case?

Thank you

Unlikely. In general, you take the risk upon yourself when you have expensive equipment in a place that you know is not secure. SJ?

What if he does? This has nothing to do with your original question. Unless under contract or cba or if the termination is a violation of existing law you can be fired at any time for any or no reason

i don't want to sound redundant, but more specifically, what it i am terminated, because of the issue going on at work and the my employer refuses to deal with it, so he terminates me?

i don't want to sound redundant, but more specifically, what it i am terminated, because of the issue going on at work and the my employer refuses to deal with it, so he terminates me?

I don't understand the question.

But, anyway, if you took an expensive toy to work when you knew there was theft and you knew (or should've known) that you were not supposed to do that, then your employer cannot be held liable for your negligence.

In fact, based solely on your post, that this makes YOU look kind of suspicious considering all the thievery going on. It makes you look like you want the employer to cough up some dough.

Rephrase your question above and ask more if this doesn't clear anything up.

i have only been working there for a little over two months.

i had no knowledge of theft at my place of employment until my property was stolen, and other employees began to inform me of other instances of theft.

As far as it stands at the present moment, I am not sure what is to happen to me. I feel like I should not be fired, because my property was stolen on the employers property.

To add more to the issue, on the same day that my property was stolen, another's employee's camera was alo stolen.

The administration is just now offering employees lockers to keep their valuables.

my office, where my property was located is not open to all employees, however, i cannot lock the door when I leave, because i was denied a key to my own office. (i also do not have a key to lock the drawers in my office)
all other employees, have a place to safely lock their property, except for me.

As of right now, I am only asking the employer to reimburse me or to replace the product. Nothing more. Whether they are legally required to do this or not, has nothing to do with my request, all I need is a confirmation of reimburesemnt, or a denial.

As of right now, I am only asking the employer to reimburse me or to replace the product. Nothing more. Whether they are legally required to do this or not, has nothing to do with my request, all I need is a confirmation of reimburesemnt, or a denial.

Forget it.

As I said, your employer is not liable for your negligence.

you said "if you took an expensive toy to work when you knew there was theft and you knew (or should've known) that you were not supposed to do that, then your employer cannot be held liable for your negligence"

but I didn't know of theft, and they didn't inform me to not bring in personal items to work.

So what how was I negligent? every other employee can lock their personals away besides me.

does that still leave me with no solution except to get past it?

what it i am terminated, because of the issue going on at work and the my employer refuses to deal with it, so he terminates me?

Then you file for unemployment and look for a new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back